waiting to hear

LazyDaisy

So I had a second interview and I am waiting to hear the decision. I am going crazy. I feel sick to my stomach, I can't eat, can't sleep. I can't function. I am a wreck. It is between me and one other person - I don't know anything about the other person other than they have a similiar background as mine.

My question to ENA - do you think the hiring manager will take into consideration the fact that I am going to be out of work - all else being equal between me and the other person. Do you think they care about that? I know if I was to hire someone I would consider that. The HR person told me it was close and that was why they brought us each back for a 2nd interview.

I doubt it. They hire based on the experience and qualities of the candidate not their personal life. Try to distract yourself.

But say both our experiences and qualifications are equal - how will they make a decision? Do looks matter? Does my short commute matter? Does the fact that I will be unemployed matter?

But say both our experiences and qualifications are equal - how will they make a decision? Do looks matter? Does my short commute matter? Does the fact that I will be unemployed matter?

Your short commute definitely matters, lol.

Emplolyers look for candidates that are qualified, yes, but they also look for canditates who fit.

Those with less excuses (children, far commute, sick family member) are taken into account even though the laws say they can't.

For example, when I was lookikng for work, I ALWAYS said I had no intention of going back to school because I didn't want them to see me as non committal when I have every intention of doing so, lol.

(Only part-time, evening classes, but I do intend to change my availability in a year.)

If I said tht they'd bottom pile me.

YOu can't know what's goig on there are so many little reasons.

probably come down to your personality and how it will fit in with the other staff.

Your short commute definitely matters, lol.

Emplolyers look for candidates that are qualified, yes, but they also look for canditates who fit.

Those with less excuses (children, far commute, sick family member) are taken into account even though the laws say they can't.

For example, when I was lookikng for work, I ALWAYS said I had no intention of going back to school because I didn't want them to see me as non committal when I have every intention of doing so, lol.

(Only part-time, evening classes, but I do intend to change my availability in a year.)

If I said tht they'd bottom pile me.

YOu can't know what's goig on there are so many little reasons.

I don't think the short commute will matter much because I was rejected for a job that was 2 blocks down the street lol

I don't think they will care if you're going to be unemployed since they aren't your personal friends. Some places prefer to hire an unemployed person because they can usually start the job right away, without giving any notice to their current job, but other places prefer to hire someone who is already employed because they see unemployment as a bit of a "stain" on a resume. It all depends on the hiring manager. Your short commute could work in your favour if it's like a half hour and the other person will be driving two hours. I was rejected at a few interviews that I applied to in a different town, and I could tell that the hiring managers were a bit concerned with the hour commute I'd be doing, since they mentioned people with that kind of commute had missed work quite frequently in the past.

I don't think they will care if you're going to be unemployed since they aren't your personal friends. Some places prefer to hire an unemployed person because they can usually start the job right away, without giving any notice to their current job, but other places prefer to hire someone who is already employed because they see unemployment as a bit of a "stain" on a resume. It all depends on the hiring manager. Your short commute could work in your favour if it's like a half hour and the other person will be driving two hours. I was rejected at a few interviews that I applied to in a different town, and I could tell that the hiring managers were a bit concerned with the hour commute I'd be doing, since they mentioned people with that kind of commute had missed work quite frequently in the past.

Thanks. I am not unemployed yet - I am being let go sometime around March of 2014.

What i don't understand is why are they mentioning her competition? All they need to tell her is she got or she didn't.

Yeah it is a little bit weird that they're mentioning the competition. Maybe they don't want her to think she's the only good one out there, or else she might ask for a very high salary.. in other words, it could be a technique to get her to accept a slightly lower one than if she was the only applicant. I could be wrong though.

Yeah it is a little bit weird that they're mentioning the competition. Maybe they don't want her to think she's the only good one out there, or else she might ask for a very high salary.. in other words, it could be a technique to get her to accept a slightly lower one than if she was the only applicant. I could be wrong though.

It definitely seems like a technique to do something because it sounds odd.

I hope this is what it is! But the hiring manager also mentioned that it was down to me and one other person so I think they are telling the truth, at least about there being another candidate.

So my 2nd interview was Friday - I am assuming I will hear something today given that tomorrow is Christmas eve. I would think they would make a decision before the holilday. I am an absolute wreck. I can't do any work today. I'm afraid its going to be another rejection and its going to ruin my holidays. I have an 8 year old that is really looking forward to Christmas and I haven't even bought him any presents yet. I am so afraid to spend money. I am waiting on this decision to see if I can afford presents.

I don't think a couple hundred dollars is going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm not saying go buy him the PS4 and the Xbox One, but it will make you feel better to buy your son some gifts for Christmas. You're not on welfare yet after all. Don't give up so easily. Try to relax and enjoy Christmas with your son, and if you've got somewhere to be on New Year's you should toast to new opportunities.

People hire people they want to work with, so don't put off a frantic vibe, and stop thinking about the worst.

I don't think a couple hundred dollars is going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm not saying go buy him the PS4 and the Xbox One, but it will make you feel better to buy your son some gifts for Christmas. You're not on welfare yet after all. Don't give up so easily. Try to relax and enjoy Christmas with your son, and if you've got somewhere to be on New Year's you should toast to new opportunities.

People hire people they want to work with, so don't put off a frantic vibe, and stop thinking about the worst.

I can't help but think negatively, I've been turned down so many times. I don't have a very positive self image either. I think I got the job I have by pure luck. But I am going to try to be happy during the holidays. I am about to go out shopping for my son now. I'm cooking tomorrow for 10. That should keep me busy!

I can't help but think negatively, I've been turned down so many times. I don't have a very positive self image either. I think I got the job I have by pure luck. But I am going to try to be happy during the holidays. I am about to go out shopping for my son now. I'm cooking tomorrow for 10. That should keep me busy!

I would send a follow up email on 1/5 so they get it the first thing on Monday Morning on 1/6. Just let the holiday season play out No need to expect to anything this week or next week.

Archived