Do you apply to old job adverts?

Hello all,

I am beginning to job-hunt again after getting disheartened during my last stint. Having a quick browse on job boards, the industry in which I want to work seems to be picking up again and I'm seeing more vacancies than a couple of years ago. On researching a job ad posted on one of the industry blogs I read, I was disheartened to find it had already been advertised on the companies main website for a fortnight already. The application requires a demo reel and portfolio and mine are quite outdated now and needed time to spruce them up, which would mean even more time passing by. No deadline was listed and the recruiter has not got back to me whether the vacancy is still open or not. Of course now I'm starting my search again I will be keeping a keener eye out and can turn out an application quicker.

Would you have applied anyway? Or do you only look for new openings?

Whenever I have to job search I do both provided the company in question is still there and the posting isn't more than a year old. If it's months old I will try to call and ask if the position is still open, but the fact is many companies leave the ads out there in the event someone leaves and they just happen to get an amazing resume right after that, that just came in.

It can't hurt anyways, but if you have to pour alot of time and effort to apply for only one job like that then no, don't do it. If the resume updates and other work can be used for more than one job application then why not. At the worst you've now got a kickbutt resume that's up to date that you can send out to all those people who need your amazing skills. Good luck with the job search.

Archived