Stuck in my tangled web of lies

At work, I lied...about a lot of things about myself. I meant no harm to anyone, I just figured I wouldnt be there long so I just said whatever I felt would help me work easiest with whomever I was working with at the time. I would lie about my age, my ethnicity, whatever I felt made things easiest at the moment. Some people know the truth.... Well... now its starting to catch up to me. Some people seem to be whispering about me and giving me weird looks. I thought I would have left this job by now but Im still here. I made my bed and now I have to lie in it. I feel embarrassed and bad. I feel like they must see me as some crazy Blanche Dubois sort..... Of course Ive considered finding a new job but its not easy to find a new job right now......so what should I do?

I would lie about my age, my ethnicity, whatever I felt made things easiest at the moment.

How did those lies make your work easier at that time? I am just curious...

I agree, there is not much you can do now. Keep looking for something new and learn from your mistakes.

At work, I lied...about a lot of things about myself. I meant no harm to anyone, I just figured I wouldnt be there long so I just said whatever I felt would help me work easiest with whomever I was working with at the time. I would lie about my age, my ethnicity, whatever I felt made things easiest at the moment.

I'm not even sure how you could justify this. It just doesn't seem right. You say some people know the truth....how would they know? As other's have said, you've probably pretty much destroyed your credibility there. You won't be able to use them as a reference now, so what exactly were you trying to accomplish?

What makes you think that your own self and your own life is so bad that you need to change the truth for others to accept you?

Exactly......look I learned the lesson, unfortunately its too late and I have to be the nutter until I find other employment, IF I find other employment. Lesson learned. Thanks for your replies everyone.

I agree with april15. Come clean to those you lied too and let the know that you are sorry (say the phrase, "sorry, I lied and am working on becoming a better person."). Saying sorry begins the process of repairing their egos and then you being honest over the long haul rebuilds your credibility. Good luck.

Archived