Writing a personal essay.

acfan

I wanted to know if anybody has written a personal essay about a particular part of your life. I am planning on writing one about my academic experience through my life. I am a former high school dropout who had to repeat the eighth grade who will graduate in December with a B.S. in Psychology at age 47. I want to write this for my own satisfaction and will not be showing it to anybody. Any thoughts?

Yes I have several times. I eventually ended up posting one of them on a different forum and people loved it.

Anyways, if you want to write about an important story of your life, just do it! Not quite sure why you need to ask about it here unless you are looking for specific advice It'll help cement in your head some lessons you've learned along the way for sure.

I wanted to know if anybody has written a personal essay about a particular part of your life. I am planning on writing one about my academic experience through my life. I am a former high school dropout who had to repeat the eighth grade who will graduate in December with a B.S. in Psychology at age 47. I want to write this for my own satisfaction and will not be showing it to anybody. Any thoughts?

For what it's worth (I turn 47 next month, took the long way around in life although not really academically) I think if you're going to get something positive out of it and you want to put in the time then of course go for it. I also think it's great to know in advance that it's just for you -I'm sure it will be interesting to see how that affects your thought and writing process. And, you never know, it might trigger further writings that you want to share with others. Keep us posted on the process and how it works for you!

I agree that if you write it "just for you", you will be able to be much more honest to yourself about the lessons you got out of it, and be able to write exactly what you want without that subconscious fear of how others will judge your writing or experiences. Then later on you can decide if you want to share it with other people or not

Archived