How to think of funny things to say........

SaSaRai

Hey guys, I dont know why but lately I have really had a hard time being myself around my friends and all. I used to be able to think of funny things to say all the time but now they just aren't coming to me and I end up looking dumb instead of funny and interesting. Do you have any hints or whatever on how to think of funny things to say or anything at all to do with "having fun" out of just any situation. I just want to have more fun.....

Maybe you know of website sources that teaches you how to be "funnier"? I mean... don't comedians do something like that? I just really need some help getting back to being myself... I want my old life back.

thanks.

SOunds like something's making you more self-conscious than you used to be. Have you stopped saying what you're thinking, out of fear of looking stupid or something?

Being funny usually comes off the top of your head, not from studying how to be funny, although I guess it could. But you have to think REALLY fast if that's how you're going to be funny.

Some humor comes from saying the thing everyone's thinking about, but no one's talking about. Like, the conversation dies at a table and someone makes a joke about it ("well, guess that's that, then, huh?") , instead of just sitting there feeling all awkward.

I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say on this. Cheers...

Just a suggestion: Could it be that your friends have matured more and no longer find old 'childish' jokes funny?

You could try and pay more attention to the jokes your friends make. Try to pinpoint what kind of jokes makes your group of friends laugh and copy that.

'Keep it short and witty' is good advice. Be yourself, dont 'train' yourself and say things that you normally wouldnt in an attempt to be funny. It should come naturally.

well - i think im more mature than my friends, and i'll say soemthing mature and they wont laugh, and my friend will say the exact same thing i did except add somethin really childish to it and everyone will laugh at it. but yeah.. thanks for the advice guys - anymore from anyone is nice too if you add it

Sounds like you've matured faster than your friends. They are still stuck at a more childish level of humor while you have more sophisticated tastes. Don't resort to that kind of humor if it's not you. Your friends should be able to respect you just as you are. You don't always have to be the funny one, it could possibly be to your advantage to be the mature person in your group. And just a word on humor in general, I think the more you try to be funny the less you are. When you are not worrried about getting laughs and are just being yourself your natural sense of humor shines through.

I've also noticed that how you deliver the joke (or funny observation) makes a BIG difference in how people react. I've been the same situation as you, saying something funny and no one laughing, but then a few seconds later someone else says the same thing with more energy or with a laugh, and everyone laughs with him.

I don't know if this is your situation, but sometimes when we say something humorous in too subtle a way, people don't catch it. People respond to energy and laughter more than what is actually said.

My prob is I always think of something really funny or , with girls I think of the right thing to say, but its always just a few seconds too late. And I think of some really funny things so I have to keep them to myself and hope that the topic comes up again because the timing is very important. Anyway, that works quite often, and sometimes I'm able to set it up myself, knowing the punchline already.