Info and Stories on Training Shetlands and Other Equines for WORK

Silverbirch

Most of my ENA friends would know about my ponies who are a big part of my life. Little Jimmy who had been left homeless in bushfires where many people and animals died 3 years earlier was in a very neglected state -as far as his hooves and handling went. That was about 18 months ago. I've posted pics of him here before, and he has indeed shown himself to be an exceptional little lad who loves people (me at least) and is very enthusiastic these days to have a halter put on him and come for a walk and play with me. Although a lot of people would take one look at him and say he would be some child's dream, I will never let my Jimmy go away. It would break my heart and also, my other ponies hearts, especially Lois, who has become his adopted mother (horse mother, I am his human mother). Lois spent most of her life in a stud, gave 7 foals, and when the last had a deformity, they didn't want her anymore.

Anyway, to get to the point, little Jimmy is doing so well, I know it is well and truly time to be training him more and more. I've had thoughts of training him to pull a cart, but we' re still a long way from that. Anyway, I came accross these pics which are from either Scotland and they are of traditional "Klibber Tack" - a traditional pack for farm horses and ponies, and they also have baskets attached to them called kisshies. I think they would be just the thing for my Jimmy. There are always jobs to be done here, and I'd like to train him as my helper. I've also heard that little Shetties, bless their hearts, think they are great big horses and like to work! I'm sure Jimmy thinks he is a big guy. Another job I think he might be good at is pulling a small harrow to trim grass around trees. The Shetties in the pics look very different to mine - the ones in Scotland are MUCH woolier on account of the cold weather. Mine get a fluffier look to them in winter, but not like the little Scotties.

I'm always happy to run into other horse people, but especially pony people. I try to practice natural horsemanship techniques, but wouldn't describe myself as a direhard Parelli or anything.

Well, hoping someone will like these pics and have a pony story to share and a tip or two.

link removed

I really like the heart behind this article which is a dedication to a pony named Bill who had been a "Mine Pony" like thousands of other ponies, and many of them hardly saw light. Bill was rescued by this boy's family and went to live on their farm. When I said I wanted my Jimmy to work, I mean a job he likes. Saw some footage of a little Shettie guy eagerly following his handler on their way to work work in the snow. Reminds me why I love them. Apparently, the last pony mine in USA was in Iowa and didn't close until 1971.

Here's the dedication to Bill.

link removed

Archived