Can't Sleep through the night!

Trinity11

Hi,

For the last 2 weeks I have been unable to sleep through the night. First it was waking up at 2am or 3am, then increasing to waking every hour or two, now I am waking up about every half hour after 2am. As I get up for work at 6am this is driving me mental! I have no issues falling asleep, I just cannot stay asleep.

Has anyone else encountered this and is there anything I can do to help? I do not wish to take synthetic sleeping tablets. I have actually tried some green as a friend had some but I still have the same result waking up in the night.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a lot of sleep issues in my life. First question is what is causing this?

Potential causes:

*anxiety, stress, worries

*change - good or bad - any change

*an irregular sleep schedule

*diet - either a lack of something(s) or something which is interrupting your sleep. Could even be the times you are eating.

The best remedy usually depends on the cause.

Do you have good sleep hygiene?

Good sleep hygiene??

Nice reply Itsallgrand:single_eye:

I work mornings or nights but I usually go to bed at the same time every night regardless. I don't sleep in more than 8-30 am on my days off if I do 'sleep in'

The only thing I worry about is not sleeping really. Last night I woke up at 4.45am and then had to get up for work at 6. Not ideal.

The night before that I went out and had a few drinks (first time since xmas) and my friend already had someone on the couch so I took the floor. No joke, best sleep ive had in ages. But now I am sore from sleeping on the floor, haha.

I have my dinners early as I am used to having all my meals early due to work hours. I have always preferred to eat around 6pm as my last meal. A snack like fruit or a hot drink I might have later if I get peckish.

I do not have any events or change in my life right now, its pretty ho hum.

Hrmm...that's always frustrating. Sometimes what happens to me is that I subconsciously stop liking my bed for whatever reason--I just keep waking up. But if I move and sleep on the couch for a few nights, I'll sleep like a baby. I have no idea why, but it seems to work for me.

Also, popcorn--air-popped popcorn with no butter or salt--will cause serotonin to be released in your brain, which makes it a perfect, relaxing bedtime snack.

Hope you get better!

I've used melatonin quite a bit; I started by using 10 mg at bedtime but kept waking up at 3 am, 3:30 am, 4 am. So I bought 3 mg tablets, took one to fall asleep and if I awoke in the middle of the night, I'd take another 3 mg tablet. I'd fall back asleep for at least three more hours and when I awoke, all traces of drowsiness were gone.

After a few months, I didn't require any melatonin. I still wake up occasionally to use the bathroom, but can fall asleep again no problem.

Archived