Anyone Been Retailer, Wholesaler, Buyer with Fair Trade Organisation

link removed

I'm looking into this and thinking it out and of course doing sums. Where I live, we have local markets which are renowned as a tourist attraction. There are a few stipulations to being able to sell at these markets. Most goods are locally produced and may not be mass-produced. Because of this, the market venue has become popular with local artisans and clothing designers. They also sell organic produce and people come from the city to buy this.

I heard a few years ago about this organisation where you can apply for certification of Fair Trade, and there have been initiatives in developing countries for impoverished people to locally produce items which are sold through Fair Trade in other countries which means they receive a fair wage for their work. I've been in large shopping centres where there is a Fair Trade store and they sell items made from hand-made textiles from places like Africa and organic coffee from East Timor.

I love the local market and would like to be part of it - even if it was in a non-profit-making way and thought it might be a worthwhile project to be able to sell items there which would benefit individuals, families and communities in less fortunate lives.

I would need to approach the market body after researching more on the subject. Has anyone been involved with anything like this. I would greatly appreciate reading of anyone's experiences.

The women of this particular region of Gambia have recycled tens of thousands of plastic bags by turning them into yarn and then crotcheting items from them. They are so inspirational to me. The profits from their products have greatly improved the lives of their children and they are also helping the environment with their recycling. Their hand-made bags are available through Fair Trade.

Archived