Dancing With Empty Pockets

This is actually a title of a book and I hope to get a copy of that book. The title really struck me though it isn't quite what I thought was about.

It did get me thinking about what are the best things I've done, places I've gone to, "things" I have bought that have either been free or cost very little.

Over the last 12 - 18 months, I totally changed the way I dress. I'm quite a clothes horse, it's the Italian in me, but so much of what of what I buy, costs so little. I felt quite proud of myself today when I was walking down the street, and the owner of a fairly exclusive and very arty clothing and homeware specialty store called out to me. She told me i looked great and had quite a look going on which she liked very much and wanted to know where my clothing came from and said it was all put together very well. I was excited to show her what I had just bought from the goodwill store - 3 items for $5. She did the Oooo and Ahhh explanations. I bought a timeless white Indian cotton top, a wrap-around blue batik skirt and a new handbag made from some types of interesting textiles - I have no idea where it comes from as there are no labels. I love dressing like this - it's partly politically motivated, but mostly motivated by not having a lot of money, but loving clothes.

I also have some great books and I'll keep getting more which I've bought second-hand, and my interests are now going into home furnishings and textiles.

I know if I could take time off work, I could have a wonderful holiday without having to go too far away - so much to see and do where I live and people to catch up with.

I feel that for too many years of my life, I was caught up in a type of enslavement to money and I didn't even know it. I still owe money, but I have a plan to remove that from my life too. At one time, I was what a lot of people might consider, very comfortable until circumstances in my life changed - I had to bring up a child, largely on my own and I also returned to study for around 6 years. I was successful with my study, but I didn't move into a well-paying occupation. I don't completely regret that, but I would like to become more and more resourceful in living happily with little money.

Anyone else here on the same page as me or similar. If so, would so like to hear your tips and experiences of what you enjoy for little money. Thank You.

Oh My Gosh, I can hardly believe this has had over 300 hits and not one post of other peeps good times or whatever without spending much.

This is probably going to sound boring to a lot of people, but a while back, I invited a whole heap of people to my place where I live in the country and I made Devonshire tea - I was taking the scones out of the oven when they arrived and we all pigged out on scones and jam and cream washed down with tea. I've had equally good times when I've made up easy pasta and invited friends over.

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for the good read.

Although I've always lived a frugal life, I still found your post quite inspirational

Sorry, I don't have any good examples, but I bought a video game for $50 and it has easily brought me thousands of hours of joy over the past 2.5 years. Starcraft 2 is the game.

Okay, I've reminded myself what I must do again soon. Take the train to the city and then the tram to St. Kilda, Melbourne, Australia.

At the link to Youtube is a famous Australian woman who I met around 2 years ago when she came to our local pub. She is singing an acoustic version of one of her hits with the lyrics changed a little. The clip shows a little of St Kilda with Renee's wonderful voice as a backdrop. They also have lots of free music festivals there and Sunday markets.

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for the good read.

Although I've always lived a frugal life, I still found your post quite inspirational

Sorry, I don't have any good examples, but I bought a video game for $50 and it has easily brought me thousands of hours of joy over the past 2.5 years. Starcraft 2 is the game.

Thank You NGhope! I haven't played video games for a long time - not since my son lived with me.

When my son was a toddler, I knew it was good for us to have some times where we would go out ALL day as he was a very active child. We did have a lot of fun times at home, but we used to enjoy going to lots of places on trains and trams. We moved to Melbourne when he was around 2 years old, and this is one of the places I used to take him in the stroller and loaded up with drinks. It's called Fitzroy Gardens and it's a popular place for people to have their wedding photos taken:

link removed

I like this thread! Thank you, Silver. You brought back a memory from when my kids were small. I had just painted my kitchen floor and we needed to leave while it dried. I packed snacks into a backpack and we took a short hike into the woods, found a sunny spot, spread our "goods" and played store, buying the snack items (grapes, crackers, yogurt, juice) from each other using acorns, leaves, and pebbles as currency. The kids really got into it, and it was a sweet, sunny afternoon.

Another time I found a large volume of Grimm's Fairy Tails at a yard sale for .25. It was a thick hardcover book, no illustrations, and I was surprised when it became my kids favorite book for bedtime stories.

I think my boyfriend has helped me see how much you can buy and do without a lot of money. He LOVES yard sales and second hand stores. He reads Craigslist and Freecycle to see if anyone is leaving anything out on the curb that he would like. We have hauled old file cabinets home and ladders and all kinds of things. Now I find that when I pull something out of my drawer that was a real good bargain, it makes me feel a certain kind of delight that I got this useful thing for cheap. Sometimes I fantasize that I live in a quaint slower-paced village and live very simply on a small salary and I am quite content. I don't know if the reality would work out but I really like the fantasy. I think I am a woodworker in the fantasy...

Hi JN, we loved books too and also my son and I used to go cycling together. David has encouraged me to get another mountain bike so we can do some local trails here. ATM, though time is the issue even more than money.

Lilly, you reminded me that I used to belong to Freecycle here and haven't participated in that for a long time but I know I got a couple of good things from there.

Many years ago, I had a BF and we were both students. As well I was bringing my son up. We both had very old cars, but we used to go to this particular wreckers yard and get bits and pieces for our cars from there. We had and still have a great mechanic and we would save money if we could get the parts ourselves. Also, we brought the interior of our cars into pristine condition. If we still had them now, they would be coming into being classed as "Collectible Classics". We used to look at this old BMW there (they are a prestige car here) and he used to tell me that one day, he would get me a car like that and restore it. Current BF is a motor mechanic by trade, but he is always so busy fixing his own cars, tractor, etc, there would never be time for anyone else's. He has a 4 wheel drive which is 32 years old and mostly reliable. Quite recently, I was reading about the taxis in Cuba. I saw photos and the article was discussing how new cars can't be brought into Cuba because of embargoes, but they have a lot of old mercedes, etc which are in great condition. Apparently, because of this, Cuba is one of the top holiday destinations for car restorers.

The best things I have gotten for free though are my 3 ponies - which could have ended up as pet meat. The oldest one I have had for around 7 years. She has a bad back so can't be ridden, but she is a very pretty lawn mower.

I'm thinking how not having money can be revolutionary. I'm reading this book which got me to googling and I'm quite fascinated with a house in England which has become famous. It's called "Charleston House". It was a dilapidated farmhouse rented by Vanessa Bell (sister of Virginia Woolf) and her husband and became a favourite meeting place for the writers and painters who are associated with "The Bloomsbury Group" and the founders of the Modernist Movement.

I hope others like this link as I do:

link removed

I really like this chair, and if I can find some space in my home, think I will create my own. Bear in mind, this comfy chair created in early 1900's as part of the rebellion against Victorianism when using blue china was seen as quite scandalous in some circles. Most people's homes were decorated in drab dark colors and the curtains were kept closed to hide the mould on the wallpapers. The more I learn about it and "what it was about", the more I love it!

link removed

I bet you do Capricorn but it just hasn't come to mind yet. I'm glad you like the thread. It gets me thinking throughout the day and I think is helping to bring out my more resourceful and creative side.

Oh yes, I have a lovely handbag made from recycled candy-wrappers which was given to me as a gift, but I know cost that personn an astronomical prices. I'll find a pic.

This is where they bought the handbag for me. The one I have is very colorful. I was constantly stopped in the street and asked about it - I am not kidding. Mostly men stopped me - of all ages - and wanted to buy one for their wives/girlfriends.

link removed

I suppose that if you compare them to prices of mass-produced items, they are expensive. However, I am told that the maker of this bag lives in a third world country and was paid fair wages for a work of art which took a lot of time to produce. I heard also about men in Mexican prisons who make them and the money is sent home to their families. Now compare these to say a Louis Vouiton? and this is peanuts. They would make a perfect gift for a vegan woman - I'm not one yet, but maybe one day.

Today I bought a very solid Japanese futon double bed base for $25. It looks very traditionally Japanese. I have wanted one to put in my living room for quite some time. My living room is the coolest part of the house and the temperatures here at this time of the year have been going past 40 degrees celsius on some days. The futon base can easily be taken apart - it comprises of wood with wedges in which the various wooden planks and slats fit into which means that on occasion, I can even put it on my patio. I need to get a mattress for it - have some lovely linen and various sized cushions. I want to make it be inviting, not just for myself, but for my visitors to want to lie on. I'm placing it so that it makes the most a lovely bush and mountain view. I'm thinking "Bloomsbury".

The likelihood of me affording to travel overseas is just about zilch - unless I win Tattslotto or an inheritence falls out of the sky. However, on Sunday, I'm going to do something I have wanted to do for quite some time and I will experience different cultures in a city not too far to where I live. I'm going to an inner city area which is extremely culturally diverse and interesting and I'm hoping to go to an Ethiopian restuarant. I also plan on browsing through some of the many second-hand and collectible book stores. So looking forward to that.

The likelihood of me affording to travel overseas is just about zilch - unless I win Tattslotto or an inheritence falls out of the sky. However, on Sunday, I'm going to do something I have wanted to do for quite some time and I will experience different cultures in a city not too far to where I live. I'm going to an inner city area which is extremely culturally diverse and interesting and I'm hoping to go to an Ethiopian restuarant. I also plan on browsing through some of the many second-hand and collectible book stores. So looking forward to that.

Great idea, Silver, to get a taste of other cultures by exploring what is available close to home. Have you ever thought about hosting international travelers? A couch surfer, perhaps? Or sharing a meal with a foreign traveler? I remember my dad doing that when I was a kid, he met a couple of French sailors, invited them home for dinner, and they in turn gave us a tour of their ship.

Hi JN,

I enjoy having my sanctuary to myself too much for that. However, I have recently gone back to my old workplace which is extremely culturally diverse. Amongst our smallish team are people from Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Russia, Africa and we have casual workers from the Middle East, India, Poland and likely other places I've forgotten. We do talk a bit about food! The Vietnamese man has been part of the team for many years. He loves to cook for us at work and sometimes at Xmas, he hosts a party for staff. It's lovely.

OMG Capricorn, I found something you are going to LOVE. I didn't know much about it until last night when people at work were telling me about it and that payment is by donation. I will find similar links and really like to hear about any in your region.

There is a resturarant called "Lentil as Anything". You don't have to pay at all if you can't Collingwood Abbey. I've seen it from the farm next door and meant to go there. It looks like there is a lot happening. Apparently, the restuarant is run by various community groups which work on a roster. There are lots of good write-ups about it. Go take a look:

link removed

Archived