Am I even EMPLOYABLE? I send out resumes but no response?

Dougie_D

I've only had 1 serious job my life when I worked for Sam's Club.

I don't really want to work in retail again. Especially NOT full time and I don't consider it a Career type job.

I'm starting to think I missed my opportunities when I had just graduated from college. My last degree was about 7 years ago.

I want either a job with a Music Record Label or Video Production.

The problem is, I have more skills regarding the music but they are not really biz skills. They are skills dealing with Artist Development and A&R. Those jobs are rarely advertised and it's even harder to get on salary.

I have video editing skills but because of technology, I'm not really up to par compared to kids coming out of school right now.

I feel like I am not getting hired because of my skill/experience levels. I haven't even had the chance to get an interview!

Any thoughts? Tips?

Have you considered starting up a label with the money you get from your parents? Not gonna lie, I don't know how easy that is, but it might be better than working at a label for free.

If you really want to do the video editing, you could take a couple of "refresher" courses at a community college to fill in gaps.

Your skill and experience levels are probably having an effect. Not having any contacts doesn't help much either. You need all of those these days to get into that industry.

You might be better off working another job you don't really want to while you bring your skills back up to par and start making a few contacts. It's frustrating but any income is better then no income if you can't get into yoir chosen field.

I know how you feel, not exactly in the same boat but the job market is brutal. I lost interest in my former profession and now I'm entering the engineering field with not much paper to show for it. I can do the job but consistently find myself teaching kids the skills while I get passed over. It is a nice paycheck and I'm gathering up skills and direction which means I'm probably headed back to the classroom for some "proof" that I learned something. About all I think I can do at this point. I wish you luck.

I'm in the UK, I dropped out of high school (had less then 2% attendance for my last year) due to mental health issues, dropped out of college for the same reason. Got next to no qualifications , not because I'm thick.. I was actually top in my classes just wasn't allowed to sit the exams. I have spent 4 years looking for a job, 2 of them on welfare.. I was forever getting knocked back for every job I applied for.. so degrading and didn't help my depression. But I ended up applying my local Iceland store for Christmas seasonal staff.. My last shift with them was on Wednesday the 2nd (this month) and by the Friday I had an interview lined up with KFC. Had the interview on the following Tuesday, got a call back this Monday and I have my induction tomorrow.

It's always easier to get into a new job whist in/ JUST got out of one.

My advise would be to just apply to ANYTHING even if it's not a job you particularly want to do. (assuming you are not in a job) and pay for courses in what it is you want to do..

I never saw my self being a KFC employee.. but ahh well better then nothing and when I figure out exactly where I wanna go/ do I'll at least have some experience in something and money to back it.

I really don't understand people who need work but won't take certain jobs because they feel it is beneath them or not a "real" job. Why not try applying for a job at a music or guitar store? The independent record stores where I live are known for their awesome staff who recommend great music - and also good places to find contacts in the music industry.

I'm used to living as if I make 20-30k a year. I have applied to retail jobs and I haven't got any interviews for those type of jobs either. That's a topic to discuss as well. I've never been a waiter, so the food industry would be hard to crack. Also, I don't know how to run a register and I honestly have high anxiety just thinking about it. I'm looking for a stocking job. Also, even if I do get a part time job in retail, I'll still be in the same boat for the other fields regarding experience and skill.

For Music Biz, I've already had internships but those companies don't have to hire you. I've come to a realization that I will have to be more DIY on my Musical Path. Getting a job with a MAJOR label or Mid-major that have employees on payroll is ideal though. Most companies in the Music Biz can't do that (that's why they have interns) We all do the same thing but some are more successful than others. I am making plans for my record label, but I got to SAVE TONS!!! I'm currently working with artists but the only way I get paid is through SALES...and we all know how that's going.

I am learning 3D stuff but I'm not a very skilled artist. Right now, I probably just to read books and create a demo reel. With video, I don't have the money to buy the hardware or anything yet either.

Hi Dougie_D

I work for a Fortune 500 company. We're a major distributor. I work within the "corporate campus", one part typical cube farm one part Google-style office setting. Huge company.

My best work friend aka "work husband" is an A/V Technician there. On the side he's in a garage band, has recorded albums, etc. He is very skilled in Audio Technology, and is currently studying Video Technology. The new wave in corporate America is less travel, and more 'virtual' meeting arrangements. He would love a job in audio production within the music industry but he has a young family, and to pay the bills he settles for this corporate position. It's boring, but it's good money, stock sharing benefits, really great health benefits, and good hours, and your 'clients' are fellow employees, not the public - which I agree, retail is very stressful. Also the good thing about corporate America is that most jobs are daytime hours and weekdays. . . leaving your nights and weekends free to explore the music scene.

My opinion, for what it's worth, take a look at the corporate giants in your area because all corporate headquarters have the need for this type of technician. It is always good to have a steady, dependable job with great benefits.....while you put feelers out and wait for your opportunity in the field of your choice.

Just a thought!

Mines -- Thanks for the suggestion. I am nowhere close to an Audio Engineer or "Tech" savvy but I think he was able to get that job because he's very SKILLED in that area. Or at least he's constantly surrounded by something close to what he wants to do.

I'm getting to the point that my SKILLS are not wanted or people are not willing to pay for them...I constantly feel worthless.

What are some "corporate" type jobs that don't require job experience?

It's possible to get an office receptionist or administrative assistant job without experience, but they prefer if you have it. I did get a temp job as an administrative assistant with no experience (a lot of customer service and retail experience though), and I got interviews for even permanent administrative assistant/data entry/receptionist jobs (although I wasn't the chosen candidate for those).

My AV tech friend, actually has a degree (darn forgot what kind but he majored in the Hospitality industry). He worked with a few hotels but at some point that industry floundered and that's when he found this position. His only experience was with having a garage band for a few years. He still is not 'tops' in the tech field....but he's picked up things along the way and he's a nice person. (Being a member of the Facilities team.....the important thing is customer service, people skills vs. tech skills)

Just had a thought though, one job that is available nearly everywhere and does not require experience, is in Security. (It is how I found my Receptionist position). It's not a high paying job, and frankly I was way over qualified for the position (as I believe you are) but there is a high turnover rate (which means lots of openings). Experience is not needed. Training is provided and the hours are usually full time and steady. Some positions require working w/the public (as well as internal clients) but many positions do not involve outside contact at all.

A tip. . . .look for major security firms, easily found in Google searches...trust me, they are always hiring. Good luck!

Don't give up on your dreams. Even though you feel like your not getting anywhere now, maybe you just need to make the right connections. Things like music and film are really hard to get into because there are SO many talented people that want in. If you really want it you may have to move, or take an unpaid internship. Right now you can't expect things like a salary, just be glad if you get the chance to get in and learn. To me, the only way I know I really like doing something is I will go even if I'm not getting paid because I just love doing it. If you don't feel that way, then I would say find something that does and move towards that. Just know that school doesn't gurantee anything, and a lot of people learn from experience on the outside anyway. So be patient, don't give up, and just slowly start looking around and see whats out there.

Not to rub salt in your wounds but sometimes good things happen. I received an email from a potential employer and we even set up an interview time. Holy cow! I think I'm going to hang around you for good luck. Again.. not to rub your nose in it. I am wishing good things right back at you.

Still stunned.

Archived