I HATE Bots & Internet CATFISH. Come in and laugh at my expense

jas56

Because I’m still finding what just happened hilaaaaaaaaarious.

A little background about me. I love research, and technical things. My course of study involves many aspects of security theory. When I think of something I have to look it up and read especially when to scam-like things happen. So anyways this year, I have decided to take the plunge and be more active in dating so im trying a site. Today I needed a break from my studies so I login to see that I have received a message from some guy whose profile I happened to browse past the day before. Initially everything seems legit. I write back cordially and he starts talking about how he moved because of his work.

As the conversation went on, he asked what exactly I was looking for friendship, a good time a relationship what? So I tell him (keeping it short of course). I ask why he picked up and moved from where he was and he tells me that he’s doing his residency. Before that he was working hard to obtain his 3 bachelor’s degrees and a masters (cue in suspect activity #1). That is some bs because he’s “33”. Unless he got them at a diploma mill that is freaking crazy. That and he is replying remarkably fast to my messages.

So I think to myself, let me see how this plays out. I still play along now answering "his" questions in a vague manner not that any significant details were given. He was like what do you like to do for fun and most of them were typical things (movies, pool, eating out you know ish like that). He proceeds to tell me the things he likes to do ending it with can you send me more photos at this email address (cue in suspect activity incident #2). Then it hits me! IM TALKING TO A DAMN BOT, CATFISH or hybrid of both LOL!

So I said ah I lost them all, my computer caught on fire.

Then he goes, what is your email I will send you pictures of me and you can respond with more of you. I’m like what in the craaaaaap! I then say, I have some questions for you cause at this point I am more than suspicious. He replies: email addy? (probably as in do I want his email address when he had already sent it earlier).

I go, your a bot aren't you. You bored bot you! He goes it’s a simple request. Then I was like awesome im talking to a bot or someone who is extremely bored (If you’re wondering why I’m still talking to "him" as someone who is technologically curious I couldn't help it hahaha I have to understand the methodology)

He then proceeds to say Bot? Im waiting to see some more pictures of you is that so bad hon? I was like you're suspect. So I tell him to send it to this junk email I had (never sending any pics of myself). They were more of this guy but at this point I know it’s someone posing as this person. The attachments had a filename consisting of numbers so I searched for it google and lo and behold there's a photobucket of some different photos but more of this older woman and her cat. On top of that, searching by the username of the person yielded even more results that connected her back to that photobucket.

I get another message saying: Give me your email address im NOT asking again!

So then I go or else what? You'll spam me to death? By the way, oh look I found all this information on you already. Your photobucket username which also led to me finding a goldmine of information. I replied with “her” name when she was born and where she had lived currently and prior. Thank the government for public records/freedom of information act.

Anyways,

I proceed to tell “her” that I had a good laugh but find something better to do. This was great practice. Thanks you troll.

I never heard from “her” again hahahaha. Awesome.

As an aside, it's not unreasonable for a person to have 3 bachelor's degrees and a masters at 33.

I've only got an associate's degree at this point, but when I go for my bachelor's, it shouldn't be too hard to triple major in Electronic Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology and Math, since I'll get close to a math degree from my EE and my EE coursework will cover most, if not all, the material in EET.

As an aside, it's not unreasonable for a person to have 3 bachelor's degrees and a masters at 33.

I've only got an associate's degree at this point, but when I go for my bachelor's, it shouldn't be too hard to triple major in Electronic Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology and Math, since I'll get close to a math degree from my EE and my EE coursework will cover most, if not all, the material in EET.

it doesnt work that way, they wont let you use the same class to meet the requirements of 3 majors. 2 yes, 3 no.

it doesnt work that way, they wont let you use the same class to meet the requirements of 3 majors. 2 yes, 3 no.

Do you have a reference to cite for this? I can't imagine that they would require me to take the same calculus class twice in the same two year period so I can get a math major with my other two.

Hahah ahh we are getting off topic however, while I don't think its entirely impossible to earn those credentials this "thing" was just too suspect. You would literally have next to no life or a job (unless your job allows you to do schoolwork on the company dime). Investigation is fun, that troll got owned haha.

This year im making the push to go old school too but in addition supposedly widen the dating pool by going online. I have my cut-off date for this online business though.

Oh and I also suggest that everyone google their full name and take their profiles off of that stupid mylife website. There is soooo much personally identifiable information on there that they automatically generate to the T and people have no idea that its there.

Did you watch that Catfish show last night? country boy seemed so sweet, emailing for over a year to a guy who couldn't see that he had a problem posing as women to talk to guys for years. Kinda felt bad from both sides.

However, I could never message someone for that long and not meet them and send nudie photos etc. I mean REALLY!????

• 4 weeks later...
Do you have a reference to cite for this? I can't imagine that they would require me to take the same calculus class twice in the same two year period so I can get a math major with my other two.

Oh sorry I just saw this! What school do you want to go to? It's not like they would ask you to také the same class twice, it'd be more them saying "we only allow up to double majors." Then if you wanted a third bachelors degree you'd have to apply for it all over again. It depends on the school.

Archived