LinkedIn Question

Ok, I've got a question about my LinkedIn profile.

I'm a part-time student and was working at a full-time job for awhile (it was a temp position, but longer than most, 6 months). I quit the job because of some health problems which made me unable to handle it and the courses at the same time (could have quit school but since the job was temporary, the school was probably the right thing to stick with for the long run). Anyway, I'm just wondering what I should do on my LinkedIn profile.. I don't want to ADVERTISE the fact that I stayed at the job for only two months, but now it's up there still as my current position and I feel like I'm falsifying things if I don't remove it. I won't hide the fact that I left the job if people ask me. Anyway, I was thinking I would just not edit the profile at all until I get another job (hopefully after Christmas), so if it still says I'm at the position then people will just assume I haven't been on the site to remove it. Opinions?

You could state you were a temp there for two months, without getting into why. Save the why for interviews. Most companies fully understand how temping works so they aren't surprised if the assignment was brief. The fact that you're also in school will also clue them in as to why you may have opted for a temp assignment instead of a permanent position.

Your profile/resume could look something like this:

Temporary *insert job title* at *insert company* from *insert start date* to *insert end date*

*insert description of job and responsibilities you held*

People falsify things on Linkedin all the time. One of my connections who I thought was employed the entire year of 2012 just revealed he has been unemployed since July of 2011. It was revealed because he just started a new job in November and made everyone think he was still working.

So Linkedin is starting to be a joke of a professional site

Is linkedin really all that? I've never used that site to get a job in my life. It seems to me like a way of people glorifying their achievements to me. I've always stuck to having a direct CV to email or other channels.

No, every job I have gotten had nothing to do with Linkedin. It's a overhype site.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to bump my own thread because I just saw that someone I applied for a job with viewed my LinkedIn profile and didn't contact me. I thought it was strange that he viewed my LinkedIn but no other potential employers had, but then I found out under profile settings that you can view others' profiles anonymously. I totally didn't know that.. so anyone could be looking and I wouldn't know. How many of you have your settings set like this, so no one can see that you viewed them?

You could:

1. Take it off your profile entirely, if it's not importantly relevant to what you want to do next.

2. Be honest about the exact dates.

3. Just put the year and don't specify any months (I do this because I simply don't remember the start and end months of many of my jobs).

But I would avoid lying outright about it, i.e. stating exact months that are untrue.

Personally (and it may be different in the UK from North America), I don't know of people getting jobs because of LinkedIn, but I'm sure potential employers give it a glance.

Like the others have said, LinkedIn doesn't really matter all that much. In fact, all any social networking does when it comes to jobs is give potential employers a chance to go digging on you.

My sister has gotten government job offers because of her LinkedIn profile. She now works alongside with federal politicians. I also got teaching job interviews off of LinkedIn as well.

Just sayin'. It is one way to network for employment.

I actually just made my profile contacts only for now.. I don't really want random people creeping it anyhow. No jobs have ever recruited ME off there so having it public isn't that fruitful. I took that job off as my current position and just put 2012. I know this maybe doesn't matter as much as I think but I know it's a picky job market.

I used to like Linkedin but currently there are so many fake profiles on there that one cannot take that site too seriously. I for example have basically nothing on there, no photo, no details, except "X years experience in Y field, all references available upon request" and I am a professional in my field. I got tired of being contacted by weirdos, spammers and people who use that site to hook up with random people. However one good thing that I can recommend you is that you should follow relevant headhunters on Linkedin and their posts. You should apply to specific positions not over Linkedin but through emailing or their own site. That works well.

I used to like Linkedin but currently there are so many fake profiles on there that one cannot take that site too seriously. I for example have basically nothing on there, no photo, no details, except "X years experience in Y field, all references available upon request" and I am a professional in my field. I got tired of being contacted by weirdos, spammers and people who use that site to hook up with random people. However one good thing that I can recommend you is that you should follow relevant headhunters on Linkedin and their posts. You should apply to specific positions not over Linkedin but through emailing or their own site. That works well.

This is when I found out the site was a JOKE. When I found out that some people on there pretend to still be employed but are really unemployed.

Well, I guess it was good that the person "creeped" my LinkedIn. They called me for an interview a couple of days later. I explained in my cover letter that I left the old job so I'm not trying to cover anything up to specific future employers (I just didn't want everyone and their dog on LinkedIn to know).

Welcome to the club. I told you it works. Now prepare for those interview questions and good luck!

Archived