Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Fifty Shades of Grey

Moonphase

It is the most ridiculous book I have ever read. Got half way through the second book and couldn't take anymore. What a load of BS!

Christian grey is a narcissist, Ana is a co-dependent doormat. The author is encouraging women to stay with a man who hurts them/treats them bad/breaks their boundaries in the hope he will "change"

Its a fairy tale that has no basis in reality. It is all based on infatuation and the dream of a "happy ever after". The author is deluded!

I mean if you did marry a man like that-he would only get worse-more possessive, more controlling, more domineering and what happens when she refuses to tolerate his fetishes? He will be cheating on her!

Plus its not even kinky. Its basically normal sex with a bit of spanking thrown in occasionally and its the same thing over and over and over again.

I hate men like him IRL and I hate women like her even more. Some weak pathetic damsel in distress who NEEDs a knight in shining armour. Please don't make me puke! Uh!

When I read the first one, I wondered if it appealed to people who wanted to try something more adventurous in their sex lives but had never had the courage... so it was kind of a safe way to live vicariously through someone else....I still kind of wonder that. I didn't care for them.

I didn't think it was well-written at all, but I have several friends who are just as avid of readers as I am who loved it and thought they were wonderful...so I think it really just boils down to trying it and seeing if you enjoy her writing.

(I don't know that you were necessarily asking me, but figured what the heck.)

Is the book as hot and sexy as they made it out to be? better yet is it well written?

Lol no its not well written at all. The wording isn't professional.

As for it being sexy, its very repetitive and gets boring. Plus think of a 15 year old christian girl blushing and saying "oh my" a gazillion times (rolling my eyes)

Shes not 15 but acts that way.

She basically has really low self esteem and thinks she is special coz this psycho is paying attention to her. She thinks shes even more special if she can change him.

Oh and she pretends to be a strong, independent woman by refusing to quit her job etc but then she keeps putting herself in victim mode and he "saves" her.. the whole damsel in distress thing. Its really pathetic

• 7 months later...

Is anyone in this forum excited about the movie. I couldn't even tolerate the book. I was told to get to page 100 because that was I guess "The Good Part". So I braved on and got to that page. And stopped. I just can't imagine such a poorly written book is going to translate into a movie. I think even the BDSM community was like....ummm...No.

Archived