Can't move in with GF she will loose benefits

leemi1982

Hi having a bit of a nightmare at moment regarding living arrangements with my GF, I was hoping to move in with my GF next year however not having enough money has put it on hold. The situation is I already have a property with a huge mortgage and left in negative equity due to the housing market collapse.

My girlfriend lives in a housing association house and is disabled and is receiving benefits, i was hoping to move in with her but we went to get some advice at the advice bureau and banks we went through all the figures with them and they told us it was bad news if we want to live together because she would loose most of her benefits because my monthly wages are to high, I earn 30k a year, even if she was to move into my property instead it would be struggle and not what they would recommend.

The only Advice they could give us was to stay as we are.

Thoughts on selling my house I don't really want to sell my house as i've worked hard for years to get it and they advised me it would not be a great move to sell it anyway. Renting out my house would not be allowed as banks wont touch me to change my mortgage over to a mortgage to let or get consent to let as being in negative equity. this is in UK may not apply in other countries

So at the moment were both feeling a little down and don't really which way to turn. I can imagine this being a common problem.

yes would like to get married in the future, she has a progressive condition which affects her balance and will lead her going in a wheelchair full time in the future, We have tried work from home but didn't work out, she goes for loads of job interviews had 2 job interviews this week, I think employers still discriminate against disabled people I wish someone would give her a chance.

You can still live with her, without really living with her right now. You just can't go through the formal process of selling your home. Maybe a few days a week or more you can stay over and then just go back to your place every now and then to check on things.

Archived