Online Dating - When to take it to the next level?

paperboy48

Definitely be careful with your phone number if you haven't spoken much with someone. I'd leave that for when you actually want to go on a date with one of them who stands out to you.

While I do find the telephone much more personal and 'real', you need to be careful. I've met men online, given my phone number, realized that I am not interested, and YEARS later they still bug me and text me on a regular basis. Beware lol

I met my girlfriend online and did the whole online dating thing for a while before i met her.

I usually liked to talk to them for about a week or two online before asking to meet up for a date, and yes, a phone number was usually required at that point to get in contact for real.

I have been exchanging emails with a few ladies online...at what point do you take it to the next level? And should I offer my phone number or ask for hers? Do you ask to meet for a drink online or wait until the phone contact is made?

thanks..

I always asked for a phone number within one or two emails, then had one or two phone conversations and made plans to meet in person ASAP hopefully within a week of the first contact. I never met without a phone conversation first since it was a great way to screen out incompatible/inappropriate people.

Personally, I think it's best to set up an in person meeting as soon as possible (assuming you're both comfortable with it) for a couple of reasons:

1. It's hard to maintain interest online and I think many people will simply stop responding if you have gone back and forth for too long without initiating a meeting.

2. It's hard to truly gauge attraction until you have a face-to-face meeting with somebody and so I prefer to do it early on to avoid wasting too much time on someone I have no actual chemistry with.

People will obviously have different preferences in regards to whether phone calls come before an in person meeting or not. Personally, I don't care for the phone so I'd rather just meet up, but I know many people don't like just diving in like that.

I hate giving out my number.

I remember one time I chatted to a guy for a week on the phone, it seemed amazing. We really clicked. But then we met face to face and we both had a look of horror on our faces... because we looked TOTALLY different to each others vision! I was so disappointed (so was he). It really felt like a huge waste of time... a bit humiliating too to be honest!

Just go meet them face to face. Forget the phone.

I needed the phone conversation as part of my safety screening too -I exchanged lovely emails with men who sounded negative/hostile on the phone or who asked inappropriate questions on the phone. I never had expectations that we would click in person - the only expectation I had was that if the phone conversation went ok then we probably would have a pleasant half hour at least over coffee. I met over 100 men in person through on line sites.

I'll add an additional question or two.

How long between initial contact (assuming things are going well) and a first date?

Also how long would most of you ladies give a fellow, especially when he mentions being in irregular communications thanks to work and family commitments?

I'll add an additional question or two.

How long between initial contact (assuming things are going well) and a first date?

Also how long would most of you ladies give a fellow, especially when he mentions being in irregular communications thanks to work and family commitments?

I preferred it to be a week or less. As far as things preventing regular communication it would depend on how he explained it and when these things came up (why be on a dating site if you're not able to meet in person within a week or so?).

Thanks for the insight Batya

(why be on a dating site if you're not able to meet in person within a week or so?).

Well this was a situation where she contacted me two days before I had a marathon month and a half long work trip. Things like that happen irregularly to me and with little notice.

Archived