Cant wrap my head around this, need some input..

Sean1740

Looking for input on a life question.. I am 27 years old / single. I have a house "mortgage" so I don't rent. I have a job I drive 5 minutes to. My mom,dad and brother live 15 minutes drive away from my house. I have friends, not really close friends but I have friends. I have money in my bank account. I feel like I am rubbing it in but I am not and I feel very lucky with what I have.. I live in a small town about 40,000 people and there is not a ton of good paying jobs, but I have one where I am home by 4pm and work mon-friday, its not a high paying job but it pays my bills its around 20 dollars a hour. There is not a ton to do but it ok, it's cheap to live and lets me go on vacations.

The question I am having troubles wrapping my head around is.. I am bored with my job, I have been working at the same place for 6 years and I just don't see a future in it for me....I have always wanted to be a airline pilot. I actually started flight training a few years ago but ran low on money and other reasons and I don't think I was fully matured, like I am now. The thing is I am scared to leave everything behind. Its easy when your broke or laid off from work but when you have stuff and then to loose that on a risk it can hurt badly. Another thing that scares me is leaving my family behind and maybe one day not having my grandkids around my parents like they would be if I stayed in my town or not being able to go over for sundays dinner or just for a quick visit.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I think you should follow your desire to be a pilot and not let fears that may or not be realised stand in your way. You are lucky to have a passion. Most people have no idea what they would want to do if given a choice.

Regarding being close to family.......altho' it is a nice thing to have , it can be a hindrance in life and keep one tied to a life of discontentment. The purpose of a Loving family is to nurture and support us while we pursue what makes us happy , even if it entails being far away. If you are not happy , they will suffer as a consequence and worry.

If you become a pilot I am sure you will be able to afford regualr visits.

All your fears are based on assumptions that your life will follow a particular path if you choose to become a pilot - yet you cant know for sure what will happen. You may never have children......your brother may move far away; your parents - You may hate being a pilot and try somethng else...... A range of things could happen.

If you make decisions based on what makes YOU happy, your family will benefit in the long run.

It is all easier said than done - but we must 'flee the nest' to pursue our own self growth. Otherwise we live a life wondering 'what if' and have regrets....

Also ,If you become wealthy you could retire early and be close to parents when they become old; a time when they may need you more.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you decide , it is important not to have regrets about it- which is a thought process you can choose to have or not have.

Archived