Following up after sending in your resume…

Allyo

I recently left my job – without getting into details that would be too personal, there were some politics and a bit of corruption going on that made me feel very uncomfortable. I resigned at the end of a project at the “right” moment and left on good terms with my higher-ups. I didn’t mention the things that were making me uncomfortable as my reason for leaving for fear of generating conflict or getting into a situation of my word against theirs.

Having said that I recently found during a job search the job literally of my dreams – not only a job that I would love to be doing but it is also located in the geographical area that I want to settle down in! I am qualified and have the minimum experience they are looking for, and I believe that I could deliver very well on all the specified parameters of the job. I spent a long time tailoring my resume and cover letter to the position. Although since the job was listed online and at craigslist, I imagine they have received a high number of applicants.

I sent in my resume and cover letter by e-mail, the requested format, and received what seemed to be a standardized e-mail stating that my resume would be subjected to the reviewing process. I e-mailed back to just thank them for the prompt response and to reiterate a little bit my interest. From the posting online, I know that the application period closed a couple of days ago, and since I have heard nothing.

Now after reading advice online there seems to be two pretty obvious perspectives on calling an employer after submitting your resume. I have read that from a manager’s standpoint calling to inquire about a resume is often viewed as annoying, especially if there are hundreds of candidates and people potentially doing the same thing. Basically your achievements should stand out from your resume without having to call to further argue your case. The other point of view seems to state that calling after submitting a resume is a good thing and reiterates your interest and passion for the job, in addition to providing an opportunity for making your case and asking directly for an interview. I have heard of people who have gone even further to just show up in person - but I don't know if I would be comfortable doing that, it just seems like you are intruding upon the employer's space and time if you don't have a meeting set up already..

I know in this job market it is silly to get attached to just one job opening. I am exploring other opportunities, but I would just be so sad to see this one pass up!

So what is the verdict – is it annoying and aggressive to call up after submitting a resume, or is just waiting for them to contact you the best strategy?

And keeping in mind that at least in my case the potential workplace is a non-profit without an HR department.

IMO, it's annoying and aggressive, since I haven't ever got a positive response from doing that - meaning I've never been hired or even interviewed again after doing that. It makes you look like you don't have other options. That being said, don't take my word for it completely since I know a couple of people who got jobs that way.

Ok thanks for the advice! Kind of confirms already what I was thinking... I tend to get really inspired by all those stories of people who called or showed up in person and got the job - but I bet those are pretty rare!

Although I do hate the whole job-application process... the idea that you can be judged so easily or thrown out of the running just by how you are perceived on a piece of paper. I guess that is just part of it... I also say this because I think I usually don't come off well in first impressions or during interviews, that is maybe my weak point... But I am usually very likeable after people get to know me a little bit, and every single out of my employers has been very happy with me and gone through efforts to reward me or keep me on board, which I think is testament to me being a conscientious employee... but I am so frustrated that I am unable to show that to potential employers!

Yeah. One of those damned if you do - damned if you don't situations.

Personally, I have never had success with a follow up which means nada. So about the only time I do followup is if I personally handed my resume to a person doing the hiring or to touch base with someone that wanted me to try for the position. Gives them a fuzzy all-over that you took their suggestion and ran with it. Might come in handy with other employment opportunities not yet available to the public.

So what is the verdict – is it annoying and aggressive to call up after submitting a resume, or is just waiting for them to contact you the best strategy?

Unfortunately, this is entirely dependent on the personality type of the person doing the hiring. I have actually got a job by showing up like that. I applied, waited, heard nothing, so I went over to their office one day and hunted down the guy in charge of the department I was applying to. He was at his computer working, but stopped what he was doing and interviewed me on the spot and gave me the job.

Given another individual under different circumstances, they could be put off by it. It's a dice roll, I think, but if I had to guess, I'd say the odds are slightly more in your favor of getting a job if you go over in person every time vs. never going in person. Sure, you'll probably annoy a few people but annoying them a little doesn't mean they disqualify you from the job. And even if they do, those people won't matter when you find the one job where the hiring manager appreciates your initiative.

Archived