Dating Down. Safe Bet or Resentment Inevitable?

Shane505

That's my point. You don't know someone's standards unless they tell you. You can't extrapolate from how they look or how much money they have what kind of person they want. I don't think it's denial.

Like someone said would you give a homeless guy a chance? You would think less of him because he is below your standards. Like girls who won't date guys under 5'9", who dont' have a car, etc. But they will compromise if the guy meets all their other criteria. That's what I mean about dating down. Going below your normal standards. Everyone has a preferred checklist in what they want in a mate. Looks, race, socio-economic status, etc. Are you willing to date a homeless man that has all the qualities you want in a man except he is a bum and can't get a job and is an alcoholic?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like someone said would you give a homeless guy a chance? You would think less of him because he is below your standards. Like girls who won't date guys under 5'9", who dont' have a car, etc. But they will compromise if the guy meets all their other criteria. That's what I mean about dating down. Going below your normal standards. Everyone has a preferred checklist in what they want in a mate. Looks, race, socio-economic status, etc. Are you willing to date a homeless man that has all the qualities you want in a man except he is a bum and can't get a job and is an alcoholic?

Just to clarify, I'm a heterosexual male so I won't be dating any homeless guys. Even using that as an example, I wouldn't say a gay guy that hit on me is "not in my league." Neither would I say that based on someone's race. It is possible to date someone that doesn't meet your standards, but that still doesn't have anything to do with leagues, imo. I wouldn't feel like I'm better than someone because I'm not attracted to them. It just isn't a good fit.

Archived