Open Club  ·  33 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Teaching abroad! Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and Poland

Roxie84

Hi all! I'm 26, live in Toronto and graduated school in 2011. I have had a difficult time finding a job in my career (paralegal) so I have been looking into doing something fun and different.

I've looked into a program where you get certified to teach English in different countries. The ability to save can differ depending on which country and city you end up in, but I am going moreso for the experience.

I am interested in Sweden, Switzerland, Poland (where my family is), and Thailand.

Has/does anyone live or work in any of these places, and can you please tell me more about it! I want to have a better idea of what I am getting myself into before I decide to actually do this.

Thanks in advance!

I would talk to people who have done it because it sounds like you might be thinking it's far more adventurous and glamorous than you perceive it to be. Also consider whether your passion is to teach people to speak English. If the real motivation is the travel/living in a different place then I personally wouldn't do it. I also think your potential employer will be able to tell what your real interest level is.

Asian countries often have quite strict criteria with regard to who gets allowed to teach english, not only do you need the right qualifications but Japan for example might baulk at tatoos and such things... there is loads of information about it all on the net. Poland has an awful lot of people looking for this type of work at the moment. The younger generation are learning english and german in schoolS ( worked with loads of Poles, and ex is Polish ) the older generation are having to learn too as obviously loads are abroad working. Polish unemployment seems to have plateued at about 10 % nationally and is one of the only euro areas not to be in recession but as the Poles go home ( less work abroad now) this is likely to rise quite soon

loads of info on the net about all your questions

Hi there,

Your plan is a great one. Teaching English abroad is a great experience, and also a good way to save and make a decent income. It also looks great on a resume when you return back home.

Unless you have an EU passport it will be impossible to obtain a job in Sweden, Switzerland, or Poland (Europe in general). There are great opportunities in Thailand, and while the pay is slightly lower than other countries is East Asia (China, Korea, Japan) the cost of living is also significantly less as well! South Korea offers the most comprehensive benefit packages and they are really well organized and structured. Check out EPIK. You would be working in the public school system. They are currently accepting applications for a spring start date. They pay for your flight, provide you with your own apartment, and also pay a very good monthly salary.

My work revolves around sending people over seas to volunteer and teach! Feel free to contact me directly if you wanted any further advice or guidance.

Cheers,

Dani

Hi all! I'm 26, live in Toronto and graduated school in 2011. I have had a difficult time finding a job in my career (paralegal) so I have been looking into doing something fun and different.

I've looked into a program where you get certified to teach English in different countries. The ability to save can differ depending on which country and city you end up in, but I am going moreso for the experience.

I am interested in Sweden, Switzerland, Poland (where my family is), and Thailand.

Has/does anyone live or work in any of these places, and can you please tell me more about it! I want to have a better idea of what I am getting myself into before I decide to actually do this.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Your plan is a great one. Teaching English abroad is a great experience, and also a good way to save and make a decent income. It also looks great on a resume when you return back home.

Unless you have an EU passport it will be impossible to obtain a job in Sweden, Switzerland, or Poland (Europe in general). There are great opportunities in Thailand, and while the pay is slightly lower than other countries is East Asia (China, Korea, Japan) the cost of living is also significantly less as well! South Korea offers the most comprehensive benefit packages and they are really well organized and structured. Check out EPIK. You would be working in the public school system. They are currently accepting applications for a spring start date. They pay for your flight, provide you with your own apartment, and also pay a very good monthly salary.

My work revolves around sending people over seas to volunteer and teach! Feel free to contact me directly if you wanted any further advice or guidance.

Cheers,

Dani

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Cheers,

Dani

Thanks for the info, Dani! Yes, a lot of the schools in those countries say "EU Citizenship Preferred" however I am still going to take a change and apply.

I would talk to people who have done it because it sounds like you might be thinking it's far more adventurous and glamorous than you perceive it to be. Also consider whether your passion is to teach people to speak English. If the real motivation is the travel/living in a different place then I personally wouldn't do it. I also think your potential employer will be able to tell what your real interest level is.

Wow... assuming the worst in me already? Nice to meet ya too!

Since you seem to have an interest, I AM extremely passionate about teaching. I am in the process of building a strong five-year experience section on my resume in order to be a college instructor in paralegal diploma programs in the future. I took a degree in paralegal studies, as opposed to a diploma or certificate, so that I would have a stronger resume and be able to teach in the future.

Additionally, schools with such programs WANT people who do not speak the mother-tongue in order to have a disciplined classroom setting where only English is spoken. They want people who live in Canada and the United States in order to have a strong influence of an English-speaking culture. Moreover, they encourage that teachers be interestd in introducing themself into the culture. For example, my friend is in Taiwan right now and any language, Kung Fo, or cooking classes he takes are paid by the school.

Based on the above, I do not see where I am being dishonest in my desire to have this experience.

You made several wrong assumptions about what I wrote, in my humble opinion. What you wrote was" I have had a difficult time finding a job in my career (paralegal) so I have been looking into doing something fun and different." In this post you explain that besides wanting something "fun and different" you also are passionate about teaching. I was just responding to what you wrote. I know of many people who take jobs because the surroundings seem glamorous or adventurous but they're not really into the substance of the job. That is the impression I got from your first post. I was a teacher many years ago - I was passionate about it then, and remain passionate about teaching children. I met a number of people who got into teaching for the wrong reasons and when I read your post which did not mention why you would like to teach adults, I offered my opinion. Sorry if it offended you.

• 2 months later...

Archived