How to improve my motivation and self-esteem?

Slow Club

Basically, my life seriously needs sorting out but I have neither the motivation and self-esteem to do it. I'm in pretty desperate need of a job otherwise I'm going to be homeless with nobody to turn to. I know most of my problems are of my own doing and that I just need a kick up the arse. But I still lie in for far too long and when I do get, I just procrastinate until the day is over.

I'm in a pretty vicious circle. I think I have a fear of growing up and taking responsibility for myself. Anyone got any tips that might help me sort my life out?

Here's your kick

Growing up is hard. Being responsible for yourself is a scary dang thing. But, you have to do it and the sooner you start, the easier and less scary it is.

You took step one. You know you need to change things. That's the hardest step.

Now, it's just a matter of figuring out how to go about it. Not so hard but you have to set your mind to it. Just take one small step at the time. Set your clock for a time in the morning and when it goes off, get up. Don't hit snooze and think 10 more minutes (I'm very bad about this). Now next step, the next. Set a certain amount of time every day to look for a job and do it. Pretty soon you'll have a whole new routine that's habit and yoir self esteem will get better.

I'm not giving you any fluff advice like "get out there" & "take a chance" because I'm sure you know that.

I ****ing hate advice like that, lol.

My practical advice is to take a calculated risk.

Go get a "joke" job for now.

The mall... fast-food... whatever.

Just something to enable you to do more than you currently are.

I don't know if you drive (I'm assuming not because if you had a car you'd be doing whatever it took to keep it), but if you do get a job on the outskirts of your city or in a different city.

(I'm not saying dricve for 2 h, lol, but a good 30 minutes can feel "new".)

It'll be a commute sure, but no offense you have all the time in the world, lol.

Also, this isn't your lifer job... just something to do.

Venturing out into a different part of the city or a different city can feel nice & "new" & will make you want to do more.

Last thing?

Set a damn alarm.

No one worth living sleeps until 2 PM.

I agree w/her that if you don't know what you want to do as a job and aren't motivated, just go get any job. I dropped out of my second degree and I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I went back and worked at the Dairy Queen I used to work at. I worked there for a year while figuring out what I really wanted to do. It was good downtime for me too since although it was physically challenging, it wasn't mentally that hard. It also helped with my shyness. When I'd worked there before as a student, I hadn't cared that much about the job so I didn't try to be friendly with the customers but when it was the only thing I was doing for a year I started to care about it and that was good for me.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty much looking for anything at the moment. Nobody seems to want to hire me.

I guess I'm also scared that if I get a job, it might take up too much time and therefore not allowing me to write for magazines (which I do for free) and run my blog but i guess that's a risk I have to take if I want to support myself.

Archived