Yippy for being (partially) deaf and having yet another (5th) operation.

OK hopefully you can get that this is more of a rant than anything else.

For any of you who have read any of my posts regarding university (ie my journal and my re-sit thread) you'll know how badly my ears have caused me to not achieve.

Had a hospital appointment yesterday, different doctor, he took one look at my ear and said the sergon who did the origional op in 05, screwed it up. Got a magnifier thing and took a closer look and said it should be re-done, theres too much scar tissue and a bone which is pressing against a nerve, which gives me the pain, the cavity behind the ear drum is too small, so fluid gets stuck (I think I couldn't hear properly haha) causing infections.

Brilliant news, well to know that the pain isn't psychological. My other ear keeps getting infected because my ear gromet is blocked so that needs correcting too. fun fun.

Also, my hearing is well below 'normal' levels, none of it is considered normal, which really isn't great when I ride a moped, can't use my hearing aids atm due to having ear infections, so I'm just checking my mirrors constantly to be safe.

So, I have this to worry about on top of my resits. ARGH why why why does my body seemingly hate me? I use ear plugs, haven't itched my ears in ages, use nasal spray and ear drops, theres nothing else medically that I personally can do. Really am not in a great mood atm too much going on inside my head

Until my op, does anyone have any idea what I can do to try and focus my stress onto achieving and passing my resits? with all thats been going on this last year (from august 11) I just feel like giving up sometimes.

It has a chance to, may completelly destroy my hearing too though, my other ears op will restore hearing though.

Its hard to keep strong after so much going on, buf its what I want to do long term. Bah.

Hows your granddaughter (jade?) getting on?

Jade is doing wonderfully, thanks so much for asking about her. She just graduated kindergarten, she's in a class with all deaf students. She's learning sign language so quickly, it's amazing to watch her sign with other people. For now she still has a small amount of hearing but the audiologist said that she will likely be permanently deaf later. We just take one day at a time, she's happy and we are happy and I want you to be happy too!

That is great news! I remember a thread of yours a few years ago now, asking about how to support her or something. I am so glad she is learning sign language, are you all learning it too? I assume you are I really should learn to lip read again, it would help me greatly. This has made me so happy to read!

Archived