A Tale of Rwo Trees

This is the tale of two trees, two complete different types, with much in common.

Both are considered chicken trees by some people.

What is a chicken tree, what does that term mean?

It is the term used for a tree whose usefulness is in doubt.

It is a term used some, to justify their opinion on what constitutes the worth of a life.

Two trees, two stories, one meaning.

First Story/Tree

The Walnut Tree

In my yard there stands a Black Walnut Tree,

It had been labeled as a chicken tree by some.

I disagree; the tree to me is a symbol of strength and resilience and hope.

It stands solitary, a lone reminder of the once proud grove to which it belonged.

This tree has been topped, yet continues to grow.

It has been hit several times by cars driven by drunken people who were visiting my neighbors, yet it still stands.

It survived ice and snow storms, hurricane force winds, and droughts.

Then this tree was struck by lightning, it seemed this was to be it’s death knell.

With great eagerness, those to deemed this tree to be a chicken tree, circled around like sharks and consorted with one another on how to dispose of said chicken tree.

I great cry rose up from within me, “No, this is my tree and I say leave it be”.

I wrestled with those who opposed me over the fate of the tree, “Its dead they said, an eye sore at best, if you let us take the tree, we’ll share the money with you, you’ll see it’s for the best”.

I couldn’t understand why the urgency, this tree was not in the way and of no harm to anything or anyone, to me, it had been a living symbol of strength and hope.

I couldn’t give up just like that and turn my back; I had to fight for mine and its rights.

I prayed, cried, begged, and pleaded; and in the end they conceded.

We had a year, the tree and I, a year for a significant show of new growth.

My heart sank, hopeless I thought to myself, but never the less tended the tree.

Spring was on our heels, what would it bring, the answer literally meant life or death for the tree.

As the days rolled on and Spring marched in, the day of reckoning was at hand, would the new growth the tree produced be sufficient?

As I anxiously awaited the verdict of self-appointed judges , I prepared myself for the worst and was preparing myself to bid my beautiful symbol of strength and hope goodbye.

As the judges bussed around the tree, the disappointment was apparent on their faces, could I dare to hope, did this mean what I thought it could mean?

It was time, one chose to be the speaker for the rest, “We have decided to leave this tree be, for the time being.”

Oh joy unbound, my tree was safe for the time being, my prayers were answered, my symbol for hope and strength continued to stand the test of time.

Note, this story can be taken many ways, no I don’t worship trees, it was merely a symbol that I identified with and viewed it as bearing the characteristics of strength, hope and resilience.

Strength in the face of adversity and hope; hands held high, always reaching upward and outward, even though times of great darkness and devastation.

This tree is a reminder of the things I hold true, a reminder of those whose lives bore witness to these truths, people I’ve known personally and people I heard about. I am grateful for these things.

The story of the tree is based on a the true story of a tree, it was hit 16 yrs ago by lightning and by all appearance was dead, by the next Spring it did indeed bear new growth where none was visible before.

This tree still continues to grow and produces much fruit for one black walnut tree. Rosel

Part Two

What another chicken tree, how many chicken trees are there in one person’s yard?

In my yard I have trees as far as the eye can see and still enough grass where I need a riding mower or it would take me a good two days to cut the lawn.

Where I live was settled by the Scots in 1720, most of the trees in this area are over 140 years old, some over 200 years.

So, the trees here where I live stand as silent witnesses to both the Revolutionary and the Civil War here in America.

My Magnolia/ aka: Another chicken tree

As long as I can remember, I have always loved Magnolias.

After we left England, we traveled to see my Father’s family in Louisiana.

This was the first time I was introduced to the graceful, sweeping, enormous boughs of these southern beauties.

Their huge boughs beaconed to me, to climb and view this new land from its’ windswept heights.

There nestled among its branches to, I felt safe, secure and welcomed.

Hiding in its leaves, I could see and hear what was going on below, in the comfort of my tree the strange voices and strange foreign words became more familiar.

Slowly, so slowly, I crept from my world into theirs.

Ma Grand-mere parle français, and me I spoke none at all, but her gentle voice and kind eyes bridged any language gap that had exited.

The fragrance of the Magnolia bloom has always reminded me of my Grand-mere, crisp, clean, white, and sweet.

This is why I love Magnolias, so why is it considered by some a chicken tree?

Why indeed, because it is an evergreen, which means its forever casting leaves.

These leaves can cover and do everything in their path, it can be an annoyance if you desire an immaculate lawn, but if you design the landscape to include this tree, its beauty, fragrance, and welcoming branches can be enjoyed through every season in the year.