Fight or flight. Done fighting, time for flight

Hey, I'm exhausted.

I've constantly been thinking about the past and our relationship for 5 months now. I've been through everything everyone on the forum has been through and the outlook looks the same for the next year or so. (work together + own a house).

I'm in my late twenties and I have a decent career going, however this break up now presents me with the chance to go traveling and see the world. I wanted to get some advice on if it's the right decision given my wobbly emotions at present.

Is going travelling a good idea when you're hurting from a break up?

Good idea to quit career to go travelling?

Is the thought of leaving the country a plight to win ex back? (seems still, romantic notion of her stopping me at the airport, too many chick flicks watched)

I'm fed up of waiting to be healed, Im not over my ex by a long way, but I don't want to sit around waiting for the day I will be over her. Change is needed.

I left spain to return home after my ex ex broke up with me...i had them rmoantic thoughts in my head, that he would stop me, he never did...he just let me go, we got back together 3 mnths later but then it was a LDR which would never have worked...if only the stubborn b'std had of stopped me we could've had something good...his loss!!

loulou x

Travelling is my number one passion. It's all I care about. I've been a good few places but my thirst will never be quenched...

I personally believe that seeing the world can only be a positive thing and I truly don't understand people who have no interest in seeing the planet they live on.

Go travelling, but only for that reason. Forget any stupid idea of her coming back or missing you when you're away. Travel for yourself, to grow as a person.

Of course it's risky quitting a job to go away: but life is sometimes all about risks. I lived in Japan a few years back and I intend to go back again to live this year.

Where are you thinking of going?

I went to Japan on my own to live, but my last world trip was with my ex. There are pros and cons to travelling with someone vs on your own. But even if you do go on your own you will meet people out there man, so don't be worrying about being lonely etc.

SE Asia is great (and dirt cheap), but I didn't really like Australia! (sorry to my oz buds on here haha)

I flew from Oz to Singapore then travelled up through Malaysia into Thailand. Crossed the border into Laos then down into Cambodia and back up through Vietnam. It's a good loop, and you could do it in reverse starting in Hanoi.

If you want to go traveling, do it because you want to go traveling and not because you're running from your ex.

I've made that mistake before. Seven years and another breakup later, I have zero support system to fall back on because I've spent the last seven years cutting ties and running around. Sure, it will feel good at first. You'll like the new adventure. But the feelings and loneliness WILL catch up with you, because you're running from them instead of dealing with them. For me, the decision to travel was very self-destructive. I personally wouldn't quit a career to travel, either, unless you're very sure you can get back in if you need to. Not easy to find a job these days.

So if you are going to do it, pay close attention to your feelings and make sure you have something to go back to.

Amorterra - thanks, it's good the hear the other side. If I were to pack up and leave this week, I feel I'd be doing it for the wrong reasons and I'd be running away. I can't do anything until the house is sold or rented so I have time to think.

At the moment I feel in limbo, waiting around for change, e.g. Money is tied up in the house, I work with my ex so I have to deal with that every week & I'm not ready for dating.

I'm thinking around August time would be good, I'll of past all major dates that reminder me of my ex and it would be like a new start. I'm optimistic about job prospects.

It's a scary thought but I feel I'll regret it if I stay where I am, it might even be damaging to future relationships if I don't take the risk now?

Archived