Helping with Shedding

OptomisticGirl

My cat sheds - BIG time. He's a tan American short hair and it's just every were. On my bed, anything black I have... he's always shed but it seems to be getting worse the older he gets. I've tried a few of those gimicky shedding things - like the glove you can put on and rub on them to get their loose hair off - but nothing seems to work properly.

Does anyone have any advice or a product or something they have used for a pet who shed a lot? I love him and I'm willing to spend the rest of his life lint rolling all my clothes and furniture for him but if I can take care of it, I won't complain, lol

Ah bathing... Jasper doesn't do bathing. You know how most cats once you get them in the water they'll stand there and meowing annoyingly but they'll let you bath them? Not my child. It takes 3 people to bath him - that's if those 3 people want to take the chance of being ripped to pieces. He's literally jumped over my shoulder and clawed his way down my back to get out of the tub.

I have a brown tabby and I was surprised how much this short hair cat sheds at times!!

3 things I have used to help fight shedding....

1) the Kong

2) Some cat grooming brush I got from Target - It has needle like prongs on both sides of the handle and it works great at brushing and collecting the loose fur

3) Black Satin sheet sets for my bed and pillows - Talk about a major difference in my bed with those sheets on! If I could cover my whole apartment in satin material, I would. I only wish I had discovered this info years ago. My bed is finally fur-free!

For the bathing thing, try rubbing him down with a wet towel instead. That will help get some of the fur off.

I have a brown tabby and I was surprised how much this short hair cat sheds at times!!

3 things I have used to help fight shedding....

1) the Kong

2) Some cat grooming brush I got from Target - It has needle like prongs on both sides of the handle and it works great at brushing and collecting the loose fur

3) Black Satin sheet sets for my bed and pillows - Talk about a major difference in my bed with those sheets on! If I could cover my whole apartment in satin material, I would. I only wish I had discovered this info years ago. My bed is finally fur-free!

For the bathing thing, try rubbing him down with a wet towel instead. That will help get some of the fur off.

i know, right? Short hair my butt!

What's the Kong? Must google this. I haven't tried a specialized brush yet - just an old baby brush which makes the situation worse kind of so I'll look into the stores to see if they have anything. Satin sheets, really? The hair doesn't collect as bad on them?

i know, right? Short hair my butt!

What's the Kong? Must google this. I haven't tried a specialized brush yet - just an old baby brush which makes the situation worse kind of so I'll look into the stores to see if they have anything. Satin sheets, really? The hair doesn't collect as bad on them?

Exactly! That's why I wanted a short hair cat, so as to not have as much of an issue with shedding. So much for that plan...

Try link removed for the Kong. It's some rubbery looking thing. It looks weird, but it does work. I bought mine at either Petco or PetSmart. And the needley brush from Target works very well too. Not sure if you have a Target store in your area though.

But the satin sheets has been a god-send. I just got them less than a month ago because I was using a satin pillowcase for one of my pillows and noticed that it was the only thing on my bed not covered with any cat fur. So, I put two and two together and remembered that satin detracts hair. I ran to JC Penny's and got two black satin sheet sets on sale.

I'm telling you, it will change your life as a cat owner!!

The furminator. Seriously the best deshedding tool on the market. Google Ot. I've aeen it work miracles

So it literaly just takes the loose fur off? That wouldn't be a bad investment at all.

L and I saw this one thing on an ad while we were on honeymoon but neither of us can remember the name. It's like a vacum thing (hand held) and it sucks the hair into the little area and then you just dump it. May have to try that furminator though...

The furminator is great but don't use it more than once a week nor for very long - it is very irritating to the skin. And do look into a limited ingredient food as well. My dog was shedding so unbelievably much and it was getting worse each day until I switched his food. AhhhhhMAZING difference. I recommended this to a woman with a medium hair older cat as well and she could not believe the difference it made either. * * * * Van Patten is what we both use, they have dog & cat formulas - look for the L.I.Ds

One of my cats is a Russian blue mix and she has very thick fur for a short hair cat. In the winter she's all lovely and fluffy so it's great but in the summer she sheds a ton of it and all the furniture she sleeps on is covered in grey fur. I basically took to putting an old towel over her favourite sleeping spot in my room so it wouldn't matter so much but it'd be interesting to know if there are better ways to deal with it.

Archived