why do some people have attachment/ dependency issues?

phasegirl

...oh I think I'm one of these people... since my husband and I broke up our marriage, I am determined to live a new life and as part of my new life, I have taken a leap and have applied to live and work overseas.

But, for some reason, I feel so attached to the past - not necessarily with my ex, but with my current job, neighborhood and then to leave my mom and my past behind makes me so sad. My mom doesn't mind my moving at all (she lives with her sister, and has her boyfriend, etc), but then why do I feel so attached to her and overall the past?

When my ex and I broke up, it took me nearly 4 years to get over it. Meanwhile, he moved on normally even getting married again, which broke my heart. I just wonder, what makes someone so attached and others so looking forward to the future??

AND, if you are a dependent type, how to remove yourself from that horrible mentality?

I'm like you with the attachment issues. I recently graduated college and moved to a new city all on my own. I'm constantly worrying that all these things are going on with my close friends or family that I'm missing out on because I'm not there. I'm so attached to my college town that I go there on the weekends really often even when there isn't anything going on. I'll drive a few hours just to go to a friend's apartment and sit around and watch tv. I wish I wasn't so homesick for that place because it isn't even *that* great, I just feel so lost in my new city. I'm getting more used to it though. If you want to pick up and leave, you'll go through the homesick phase but eventually your new home will be home. Go ahead and do it, you only live once.

Archived