I was dating this guy for about 2 weeks, met him online, we had amazing chemistry. He was strictly Jewish, and I'm not. But he told me that it was ok for now and we talked about it, and said if this relationship did become more serious, we would approach the subject.

So the other night he asks me to be his girlfriend, and says "I'm going to tell my parents about you." So he does, and literally 2 hours later, calls to say they don't want him to date someone that isn't Jewish. This is the first guy I've trusted since my last ex of 3 years cheated on me. I felt comfortable, like I didn't have to worry about him at the end of the day, like I did with some guys that I had casually dated. This felt so right, so of course something had to go wrong, right? But I was planning for it to go wrong so soon. Statistically, our relationship wouldn't end in marriage anyway, but he made me happy now. Why couldn't we let it run its course? I kind of know the answer to this, but I don't know how to accept it.

I always want to find solutions, and I'm such a hopeless romantic that this is seemingly impossible to get over. I keep thinking if he hadn't told his parents the same night, then we could still be together this weekend. How do I move on from something that didn't end because feelings ended? I don't know what to do. I have no hope for finding someone as caring as he was.

How do I move on from something that didn't end because feelings ended? I don't know what to do. I have no hope for finding someone as caring as he was.

From his reaction, and immediate capitulation to parental pressure, it would've been worse if it had gone on longer.

Think how you'd feel if you were involved for a few years, engaged, and then he says "sorry, I'll never be able to go through with marrying you, mom and dad feel strongly about this???"

It hurts now. But I'd try to find the silver lining here. He let you know before you invested a ton of time and energy into a relationship that he was willing to allow his parents to ultimately dictate. That was actually, deliberate or not, good on his part. And it gives you the chance to learn, and realize that you can find someone who will care more than he did, or at least, who will be 100% sure of where he wants you in his life before pulling you in.

You can't solve something like this alone - and he's made his decision. Head and chin up there - you're worth more than investing your time into something you already see would've been a dead end.

Archived