Tried to help her out but now shes angry....

Syntax1985

I have a very close friend whose having a real tough time at the moment.

her parents kicked her out of home, she lost her job & shes staying at a local Y.M.C.A ( emergency housing for people to prevent them from becoming homeless ). most the people in the centre shes staying in are pretty horrible, and to make matters worse i found out she hadn't had electricity for 3 days due to lack of money & shes on a metre that takes £1 coins...

so i slipped 10x £1 coins in her bag whilst we were out with friends ( enough for a week of electric, which she questioned me over the phone about but was being subtle "hey whats this in my bag?" i didn't admit it was me, but shes put 2+2 together and now shes fuming as she thinks im viewing her as a charity case.

I understand why shes angry but i genuinely just wanted to give her abit of a break, shes been such a good friend to me for years & i hate seeing her in this much trouble.

How do i fix this??

Wow...if a friend did this for me, I would be in tears with gratitude...but, I'm older now and I've learned that sometimes, pride is a losing battle.

To put it this way, when I was having a hard time after my divorce last year, I was struggling badly financially...my boss asked me one day if I'd applied for food stamps. I said no, my pride wouldn't let me.

He asked, "Is your pride feeding you?"

I applied for food stamps later that week, and got full benefits, which saved my behind.

I hope she learns to appreciate what an awesome friend she has in you.

Archived