recently broke up with my girlfriend, but i don't know why

i've used to read the flirting tips and such on this site a few months ago, and now i'm coming back to this forum for advice. i'm 17 years old and about to be a senior in high school.

last night was the last date with my girlfriend of just under six months (our anniversary would be september 1st). when we got back to her house from the movie theater, she told me that she had always liked me and liked being with me, but she said she never fell in love with me, the way i did for her (head over heels even) she told me that she doesn't think we should see each other for a while, and i guess that means no contact for a while. and right now i'm having trouble sorting out my feelings, because on the one hand i should admit that this could be and most likely is the end of the relationship for good, but the other part of me believes that it's just a break, we can get back together and we can go on to have a relationship where we both love each other equally. the trouble is, right now i don't think i can trust what she says because even though she said she never fell in love, she used to say "i love you". i really don't know what to do or say or even think about the whole thing.

needless to say i was really heartbroken last night, and i woke up this morning thinking about why she suddenly said this. we've never had trouble with our relationship before this, and the last 2 months have been particularly amazing, or so i thought. i'm trying to decide whether or not i should talk to her sometime soon, because i still have some things i need to say, to tell her how i feel because last night i couldn't really think clearly or speak clearly because i was so hurt. the stupid part is, she says she wants time away, but we go to the same highschool together and we go back to school in 3 days, so i'm bound to see her at least every now and then, we share of lot of the same friends there.

i apoogize for the length of this post, but it's the situation i'm in right now. any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi

I can really sympathise with the situation and i guess you really need to know where you stand. If you both have mutual friends have you tried talking to one of them to find out what she has said to them ? and if they have any advice as they know you both very well.

I think that she needs to be truthful to you at the moment and it may be that you need to talk to her to say what you have got to say, at least then you will have a clearer picture about whats going on.

I hope that helps abit.

Will

i'm trying to decide whether or not i should talk to her sometime soon, because i still have some things i need to say, to tell her how i feel because last night i couldn't really think clearly or speak clearly because i was so hurt.

from your other post i thought that you had broken up completely... fortunately it doesn't seem to be the case.

my suggestion is that you don't try contacting her just yet... from my recent experience i could tell that my girlfriend would become a bit irritated if i tried to talk to her or pressure her to meet me... so i think you would do best if you didn't talk to her right now and waited until you meet her by chance at school and talk to her then. it's the advice i can give you!

i hope everything turns out for the best to both of us...

yea, it's really killing me thinking about it. part of me wants to talk to her as soon as possible, because i need to know more clearly why she did this, and more importantly, if she's willing to give us time and then get back together (i which i think is reasonable because i didn't do anything wrong) she said she didn't feel like we could be true to each other because i acted "too polite" around her. i admit i put on a sort of pedestal, only because i've never had a girlfriend before and i wanted her to know how much she meant to me, that she's different from my some of our friends who are girls. on the other hand, the other part of me wants to wait, give her her space, and talk to her after a little while so she can see how i'm still strong and i'm more than willing to get back together and treat her the way she really wants to be treated, because before last night, she never told me when there was a problem, even when i asked her if she was happy with me, she never told me what was bothering her. i think i deserve a second chance now that i know what she wants from a boyfriend. the question is when to tell her, because i still love her very much.

i think i know how you must feel right now but try hard and don't contact her right now... it will be positive if she misses you a bit. just search this forum for "no contact" or "no contact rule" and see what i'm talking about...

but i do understand you, as i have had much trouble not contacting my girlfriend especially when i'm feeling really down or angered about this situation.

i don't think i did anything wrong as well... she just came back from her vactations at the beach like this.