Copper IUD without being pregnant before

sweetooth

I am seeking an alternative to hormonal birth control. I use condoms, however I cannot use hormones as a bc method because it causes severe depression. My current gyno says IUDs are only used for those who have given birth before, however, I have also read that those who have not still can use the IUD, albeit having a few more issues. Who here uses the copper IUD and have you been pregnant before? If not, were there any issues or is it worth it? Thanks!

It is just harder to open the cervix and it hurts a whole heck of a lot going in if you have never had your cervix opened before. That is why they prefer not to do it. I am sure they also do not want to cause damage to the cervix before you ever get pregnant if you ever want to. Damage to the cervix can cause an incompetent cervix which can cause premature labour and fetal death.

I had the copper IUD and have never given birth either. I also *cannot* handle hormonal bc. It's great for birth control, though, because I get so irritable I can't be in the presence of anyone.

Copper IUD was great in terms of convenience and effectiveness - had it for 5 years. Cons [for me]: bleeding that was 2-3 times heavier than normal and intermittent abdominal cramping every few days (sometimes severe, that was on par with having my period even when I wasn't) and more severe cramps when bleeding. I decided to get rid of it because of the intermittent cramping. My doctor said she thought that was the cause because it really works by slightly irritating the lining of the uterus. When I took it out, they went away. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect birth control method. For me, anyway.

I cannot tolerate normal birth control, but my doc put me on Natazia 1-1/2 months ago due to an ovarian cyst causing constant bleeding for 3 months. It gives two different hormones in different increments throughout the month. I have handled it better than anything I've ever tried. Its also helped with my PMDD symptoms.

Archived