Working overseas

acfan

I was wondering if anybody has had the experience of working overseas? I work with a guy that took a job teaching english in Dubai and I am curious. I am in the U.S. and have never know anybody that has done this. I did not know the guy at work very well and did not get to ask him many questions before he left. I am single with no kids and it seems like a good way to pay off student loans and bank some money. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Jerry.

Ok, Jerry. I'm back.

This is what I wanted to tell you. My daughter is presently teaching English to children in South Korea. She got the job through a recruiter. She has been there since March 2009. Sometimes she likes it and sometimes she doesn't. The school paid for her flight to South Korea. This was from LAX to South Korea. The school is supposed to pay her return flight to the US; however, in reality my daughter said it is a common practice in South Korea to fire you before the 1 year contract ends to get out of paying for your return flight. Her housing is provided by the school and it always consists of a studio apartment near the school. The pay is low. Usually a 4 year bachelor's degree is required, but does need to be in English. My daughter is able to get some American food there such as pizza and the make-up she uses is available there, but it cost 3x as much. She makes lists of things that she wants and I send the stuff to her.

There are books you can order on Amazon that discuss the matter. One such book is entitled "The World is a Classroom." When you find this book on Amazon you will be referred to others on the subject as well. I would recommend reading the reviews of the various books. In one of the reviews in one of the books a forum was recommended. I went on that forum and it did seem helpful.

My daughter originally wanted to go to Japan until she learned of the high cost of living there, so she disgarded the idea of working in Japan, however, additional anothr reason would be the disaster that ocurred in Japan I am sure affected the need for teacher there at this time.

If you you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I can always question my daughter further for any info you might have....

Archived