Harpers Ferry Photoshoot

Mustachio

So I tried to go to Harpers Ferry last week and ended up getting stormed and rained on. Normally I would have liked to shoot the storm, but I wasnt too keen on getting struck by lightning or having my camera gear destroyed so I left. And a couple days ago I decided to try again. And I got stuck in traffic, took me nearly twice as long to get there as it should have, but oh well. So I started the hike to the overlook I wanted to go to. And lets just say that it was way too difficult of a hike for me in my current shape. After about 45 minutes and maybe making it 3/4 of a mile up this mountain, the sun finally peaked through the clouds, so I journeyed on. I finally made it to the overlook about 30 minutes before sunset. What had been a gray dreary day suddenly burst open with some amazing colors as the sun set.... and thats when I realized I forgot my memory card. Dug through my bag and luckily I had a spare, a small one. So I popped it in and started shooting. Spent about an hour getting some shots and nearly filled up the tiny memory card I had. Feeling quite satisfied, I realized that I now had to hike back up and down this mountain in the dark. And I didnt have a flash light. About an hour later, drenched in sweat, and exhausted I made it back to my car. So that was my little adventure, and here are the photos, hope you enjoy!

image removed

image removed

image removed

image removed

Gorgeous. I love the first and last shots.

Thanks! I actually posted them in reverse order from when they were taken cause the last one was favorite.

Really awesome pics! They are all lovely but the first one is my absolute favorite. The perspective of it and the way the sky pops out looks really cool.

Thanks so much! I think the hike was definitely worth it.

Those are really great pics and I like the story. Where can I get me a man like that? haha

Hehe well thanks on multiple levels for that one.

Love them!........ and I also love the pictures you posted in petite's thread "30 days.."

Please show more!!!!

Hmm, I have posted a bunch already in this forum, but maybe ill dig up some others that havent been posted here yet...

Omg awesome.....what lens did you use? And the specs/settings of the shot?

Ill post the specs here momentarily, but thanks! Also, not quite bokeh in the second shot, When I post the settings, itll be clear!

Camera: Canon EOS 60D

Lens: EF-S 10-22mm at 10mm

Shutter Speed: 0.5 seconds for the sky and 2 seconds for the land.

Aperture: f/11

ISO: 100

Filter(s): None

Processing: RAW Conversion, low amount high radius unsharp mask, curves adjustment, selective dodging and burning. Manually blended 2 exposures for the sky and land.

Lens: EF-S 10-22mm at 10mm

Shutter Speed: 60 Seconds

Aperture: f/18

Filter(s): Lee 0.9 HE Grad ND, Lee 0.6 SE Grad ND

Processing: RAW Conversion, selective dodging and burning, curves adjustment.

Lens: EF-S 15-85mm at 15mm

Shutter Speed: 0.5 Seconds

Filter(s): Lee 0.9 HE Grad ND

Processing: RAW Conversion, Selective dodging and burning, Curves adjustment, Photo filter

Lens: Canon EF-S 15-85mm at 18mm

Shutter Speed: 0.6 Seconds

Filter(s): Lee 0.9 HE Grad ND, Lee 0.6 SE Grad ND

Processing: Raw Conversion, high radius low amount sharpening layer selectively applied to the sky, curves adjustment, warming photo filter

Awesome shots as usual Never tried ND filters but makes me want to try them out (aside from the price tag lol).

Heh, yea Im still learning how to properly use them, but for what I shoot I gotta say its incredibly rewarding being able to capture what I want in camera. The first shot I was actually going for HDR, but ended up doing a manual blend, which would have been the exact same had I used a filter. But getting things right in camera is very satisfying and has definitely reduced my usage of HDR significantly. I so far have 2 grad ND's and I am currently on what seems like a very long waiting list for a 2 stop straight ND and a 10 stop straight ND. Cant wait to get the 10 stop. But the whole set of four filters and the holder ended up costing me over 500 bucks, not cheap.

And also thanks for the compliment!