Hour and a half commute doable?

Hey everyone!

I got a scholarship to go to my dream university (in Europe) and am super excited. The only thing is, it is in a very expensive city. I've calculated that living in the nearest big city (where I used to live and am very familiar with, have friends there, etc.) and buying a monthly rail pass will still be cheaper than paying rent in the city where the University is.

But the commute would be an hour and a half. Right now I work in Manhattan and for me from Queens the commute is about an hour, so what is another half hour? I could bring a book and study with me on the train just like I do right now. I really think its doable especially since the earliest class in the morning seems to be 10 am and the latest class ends around 5 pm. If you have a dream and want to do it that badly, nothing should stop you, right?

How many of you think this is a good idea? This is my chance! It's an internationally ranked business school and I would LOVE to make it work.

I think it's completely do-able for you, I say go for it! As you said, you can use that time wisely by studying on the train (you can make it your daily study-time). Since you're already used to riding for 1 hour, I'm sure the extra 30mins wont be much considering you get to go to your dream university. Good luck with everything and congrats on your acceptance!

Hello, Pretty! My advice is a resounding, "GO FOR IT!"

At best, you are well prepared (impressively so, given all the aspects you have already considered) to manage a long commute in the most advantageous manner possible for your energy, entertainment and cost. I suspect you will find even more things to occupy yourself with on this commute (extra work, recreational reading, learning a new language on your iPod, etc).

However, at worst, if you try it and find you truly cannot bear it, you can always deal with making adjustments, modifying or even leaving the position then. Trust yourself that you can handle it, however it plays out. And avoid any regret at having not taken a chance as grand as this!

In the meantime, congratulations to you! What a boon and an accomplishment! I hope you are exceedingly pleased with and proud of yourself and that this turns out to be the best thing for you in all ways.

Good luck to you in this and all things,

Wager

Absolutely go for it! An extra 30 minutes isn't that big of a deal and who knows you might end up meeting cool people on the train to keep you company and that always makes the trip that much quicker.

Ooh, I did not even think of that! Good point. The 'pros' keep piling up! Guess the choice is clear?

Best,

Wager

I used to commute that long to the University via the bus. It was totally doable and I either studied or napped. It was fine. I got a lot of homework done on the bus (reading homework that is). And I did meet some people that were in my class who rode my same bus. It really worked out well. Good luck to you.

Archived