Question for women that use or have used Mirena (IUD)

Hey ladies,

I am currently using Mirena and have done so for the last year. Unfortunately, in the last year, I have had recurrent BV infections and a yeast infection, neither of which I had ever had before.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with Mirena? I am considering switching to the copper IUD, although I have not spoken with my doctor yet to see if this would even make a difference ...

Thanks!!

-Kalika

I know that the medication you use for BV can cause yeast infections. Basically the two are the same thing in different directions. BV is when you don't have enough yeast and a yeast infection is when you have to much. It's really normal to get them both when treating one. Or at least it has been for me.

I have the paragarud (the non-hormonal IUD) and it works amazingly for me.

I've had Mirena for 2+ years and I have never had those issues. I did however have a lot of cramping and spotting in the beginning until my body got used to it. But other than that , infections have never been an issue.

I'm not sure there would be much of a difference if you switched to a copper IUD. The only difference would be that the copper one doesn't contain progesterone....but for some women progesterone can cause infections. See link removed

I would try to rule out any other confounding variables/causes before making a switch.

Have you ever been on hormonal birth control pills before? If so how did your bady react to those?

Archived