Need advice/ Breakup after Seven Years

To make this short I have been off and on with my boyfriend for seven years. We both have children with diifferent people. My child is 1 and his is 3. My biyfriend has not been around my family for at least 5 years because my dad does not like him. Recently my brother got married and i told my dad he would be there. (It wasnt that easy, but he was willing to deal with it.) Anyways he new i wanted him there and decided he had to work on the wedding day and was'nt able to make the wedding but only the reception. He never made that either. I told him if he didnt come i would leave him, he laughed and said i would never leave him. I did. Now i dont know how to handle it. We cant be together if he is not willing to be around my family. I want to just say forget it and get back with him but i really just want to move on. I have'nt reallydated anyone since i have been with him and i guess i am just used to him. I need to get him out of my head!!!! Any Advice?

I know a lot of people would say that not getting along with your family really isn't a big deal in the long run, and if that's all there is then just work around that.

I on the other hand couldn't be in a relationship like that (though I can't imagine me starting a relationship like that since I won't even date someone without her fathers permission.) I believe very strongly in blessing, and believe that is one of the many things wrong with marriage today and why it fails so often. I would say that you need to find someone that will love your family as well as you. Division in the family, even extended family, makes for short marriages.

You are so right. I need someone that enjoys being around my family and friends. I was always around his family and he never really cared to make things right with my Dad. That is my life and i now know we will never ever work. Thanks for the advice.

You have a great attitude. I come from a close family...it is important to me that men join in family stuff. My first marriage failed because I felt that they did not have the family values I have. I also felt that if they weren't able to work things out with my family, they weren't willing to work things out with me. Evident through the comment "you won't leave me". He risked losing you rather than working things out. That attitude only gets worse with age!!

As far as your dating and socializing...well I've got two boys and I don't date or go out. It does get frustrating, but I don't have an answer to that. Good luck to you