Hey everyone...

I've been doing some research tonight, and I think I may have summer seasonal depression. I've been getting upset very easily without any good reason and it seems to only happen in the summers. I was wondering if anyone has had this type of depression and what I can do about it (without perscription drugs). Are there any non-perscription medicines I can take? I just need some general help, because I feel like if I continue on like this I will lose the people I love the most, and I want to put a stop to it before it gets to that point...thank you for any input!!!

well i dont have that type of depression but i an manic depressive and it sounds similar., in that you get upset for no apparent reason. i dont know about medication but physical exercise helps in lots of types of depression you should get out side and get some exercise and fresh air it usually helps . i hope that helps some.

-sTiTcHeS

fAr FrOm PeRfEcT

I go through the exact same thing... I'll get upset and mad and be all depressed and down... I make the people I love most upset and there's really nothing I can do. I havn't been diagnosed or anything but I'm always struggling with it. Somethings that I've done to help are I write in a journal. It helps me get a lot of my feelings out and be able to share stuff... I also exsercise. It lets steam out and I always feel better after. Do things for yourself and you tend to be more content with your surroundings (and less in the dumps...) Hope I helped!

-Amy

Yes, it's also called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) according to Psychiatric DSM-IV in the United States. Usually it hits people in season other than summer, so I'm not familiar with how summer SAD works. A major contributor to this illness is the lack of exposure to light. Thus light therapy is an option. I'm not sure if spending more time outdoors will help though.

Try rubbing a drop of jasmine oil on your wrists and smelling it from time to time. Jasmine can improve your level of energy if your depressed. There are very powerful connections between smell and emotions. Think of how a particular smell can trigger off memories. This can work with other scents, maybe a favourite perfume that holds happy memories for you. Or instead of wearing a scent try taking a hot bath/shower, water is very theraputic in action and can be combined with your favourite scented shower gel or bath essense to give the same effect.

In general, light and specific colors act as mood modifiers. Some colors stimulate, some colors soothe. Choose a color with which you feel harmonious. Try wearing clothes that make you feel confident in various shades of this colour. Gemstones can be an extension of this if you feel uncomfortable with the clothes idea since gems emit specific colors. Another idea is to use flowers of specific colors, place them around your home or other area's you spend alot of time in. Take a walk in your local park this is a good combination of exercise, fresh air, colors and all important sunlight. Going extreme you could redecorate your room in your colour of choice or if this is too much then accessorise it with items.

You could also try homeopathic/alternative medicines, aromatherapy, meditation, Bach flower essenses/remedies, EFT freedom by tapping (link removed), yoga, relaxation techniques or Reiki (link removed) although it's best to consulte a professional with some of these methods rather then trying to do them yourself.