Time to let it burn. Good bye yesterday, hello today

I am just writnig here to express a problem that i think many of us run into. We have problems moving on from our last relationship. Even for those of you wh are like me, and say "but I am dating someone else". Well I know for me even though I have and am dating other people now, I have not completely moved on from my ex. This realiztion really troubles me, and I think I know why. Some of it might be that I want a fairy tale ending. But deep down I know my chances of that happening and it being a successful relationship are very slim to none. If I had to choose I would say none. But things just remind me of her, like gifts, letters and photos. So tonight as the sun goes down I am going to LET THEM BURN!!!! Thats is right almost 4 years of memories are going to go up in flames, and as I watch our memories burn I will remember certain times, but know that this is my way of stepping out of the past and into my future. This will be the closure that I need. I will always have my memories in my head, so there is no need for any physical reminder of somthing that was truly a waste of my time.

Kantore

i would be very careful when burning photos, letters, cards, whatever...If there is something extremely sentimental to you that she has given you, I would put it in a box and store it away in a closet you don't use often. Hide it away, because later (be it months or years), when the hurting stops, it may bring you a sense of happiness. I will say that certain things can probably be burned, but personally I would keep a thing or two stored away just for nostalgic's sake (Unless the break-up was terrible and she treated you badly throughout the whole relationship, then feel free to torch it.)

Dont burn the items out of anger.. burn them out of forgiveness... forgiving yourself to cleanse yourself.

I know what you mean about dating others and it being weird. I'm in the same boat after moving on from my ex. You kind of subconsciously compare the two. I know in time this will go away.

I agree. I still have things from my ex-fiancee almost 8 years ago... now that the burn is gone, it just brings back a lot of great memories instead of remembering the pain right now.. It just reminds me of a happy part of my life when things were so innocent and fun.. I spent a good portion of my teenage youth with him... He was my first, my highschool sweetheart-- all in one..

Now that I've completely moved on from him, I can look at those things and think "Hey, I had a really great time.."

But the pain has to be gone.... otherwise, destroying them might hurt you later because they will be gone forever without any memberances of a good time....

Kantore,

Dont burn it all, I agree with TH you may want to keep a little something. After all the hurt and the years go by it might be nice to a a little something left. Pick one picture and burn the rest, but keep a little something and put it away for the future.

I did not burn anything, I gave my stuff to a good friend and he has it at his house. I asked him to bring it over so that I can take a match to it, but he refused too, so I guess my plan will have to be on hold for awhile, if ever. Anyway thanks for your intrest, and thanks for the compliment.

Kantore