Does this sound as silly to you as it did to my husband?

Maroney555

Hahahaha...funny title I know, but my husband made me feel dumb lol.

I have been trying to get out of the restaurant field for some time now. I love my job, but I am ready for a more stimulating job. I vowed to not leave my current restaurant until I found a job related to my long term goal *nursing*.

Now, yesterday I applied for a job within a Veterinary hospital. I mentioned in the email that I was going to school for nursing and wanted medical exposure immediately.

My husband mentioned how I will be working with people so mentioning that I wanted to be a nurse instead of something within the Veterinary field will probably be cause for them to overlook me as a job potential. The job is office work with potential to take on technician work and practice.

What do you guys think? It doesn't sound as weird in my head, but he insists I am a freak lol

I think "freak" is quite extreme. They would be likely to overlook you if they are looking for someone long term since it sounds like you are using them as a stepping stone in your educational process. Nothing you said is a sure-fire dealbreaker though.

It wasn't in a harsh way...it was a "your a goober" kind of way lol. He wasn't trying to be offensive by using that word.

I mean, I would LOVE to nurse in a Veterinary hospital long term, but I just don't think I would get paid well. I tend to prefer animals to human company on most days lol.

Ugh, I really hope I didn't blow it...I have wanted to work in a vet hospital for soooooo long! Contemplated a career as a vet, but didn't have the patience for the schooling....

It depends on the office and what else you put in your email. As long as you kept the feel of the email as professional and an animal lover I think you will be fine. If they are looking for someone long term they will probably overlook you for someone who has no further aspirations than office work.

I actually think it might help you. If the job has a potential for tech work and practice and you are going to school for nursing, they might feel as if you have "some" knowledge of medical procedures, terminology, etc. and therefore would need less training. Most people who would apply for a job at a Veterinary Hospital are animal lovers to begin with and have some "interest" in the medical field anyway...

I actually think it might help you. If the job has a potential for tech work and practice and you are going to school for nursing, they might feel as if you have "some" knowledge of medical procedures, terminology, etc. and therefore would need less training. Most people who would apply for a job at a Veterinary Hospital are animal lovers to begin with and have some "interest" in the medical field anyway...

See, this is what I am hoping they see lol. I emphasized my love for animals and how I've wanted to work with them for a long time. "Steve" just made me worry because of the animal vs people thing.

I know I'd get beat out by someone trying to get into vet school, obviously, so I am hoping they don't apply lol. Ya.... long shot hahaha. It's SO hard to get a job within ANY medical field in my area right now. My town is full of students..to the brim. There are 6 colleges that I can think of within an hour of where I live. Competition for jobs is brutal!!! But seriously, I want exposure asap to a) get out of the restaurant biz and b) start getting experience.

It really depends on what they are looking for. Often times we only need part time help so we are happy to work with someone who is going to school so long as they are available the times we need help. Other times we need a full time position and wouldn't consider someone who wouldn't be staying long term. Keep in mind the resources and money required to teach/train someone on the job. Small business can't afford a huge continual overturn of full time staff.

It can go either way - depends on the clinics needs. I would in future focus more on filling the needs of what they are looking for - let them know your interest in working with people, animals, more interesting/variety of work. What I mean is if the ad mentioned looking for someone with great people skills mention how your resturant skills have provided a good back ground for that. Your response makes it sounds like this job offerred needs to meet your immediate need - medical field work which would be a turn off for me when I flip through applications unless you really listed the skills I was looking for. With that being said there is nothing wrong with once you are invited for an interview in answering "why are you interested in this job - cause I think I might like to pursue a career in the medical industry". Keep in mind when you answer an ad you want to show you have the skills - list your qualifications but also make them curious enough to invite you in for a sit down.

Quite frankly everyone looks the same on paper... sigh... I've never seen an application that didn't say "I love animals - I have my whole life". Tell me an experience you possess with why you have good people skills... what sets you apart. That's what I look for when I do call backs. Good Luck!

I hope I didn't apply to your clinic lol. That would be embarrassing....

I listed how restaurant work has taught me a lot about working with others, etc. And I did respond to everything they were requesting in their ad. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I would love this as a long term job. I am not looking at nursing school for another 3 years, so that gives me some time.

Why would medical field work be a turn off for you?

I worked as a veterinary assistant in ICU at an emergency and specialty clinic with a girl who is now finishing up her last few exams to get her degree in nursing, so I think it's a great fit. It worked for her and I know that the things she learned at the clinic helped her in her education. Whether or not the experience listed on her resume will help further her career remains to be seen. I don't know what position you applied for at the vet clinic, but you do have to be aggressive in requesting to sit in or assist in surgeries etc, especially if it's a reception/customer service position. Good luck!

I worked as a veterinary assistant in ICU at an emergency and specialty clinic with a girl who is now finishing up her last few exams to get her degree in nursing, so I think it's a great fit. It worked for her and I know that the things she learned at the clinic helped her in her education. Whether or not the experience listed on her resume will help further her career remains to be seen. I don't know what position you applied for at the vet clinic, but you do have to be aggressive in requesting to sit in or assist in surgeries etc, especially if it's a reception/customer service position. Good luck!

Yay!!!! This made me happy...there IS hope for me lol. I doubt I will be getting the job, but thank you

I live in California, also, and vets here are very particular in their hiring. I have a friend I used to work with who had a B.S. in science and was attending medical school to become a vet. The offices wouldn't hire HER as a clerk assistant, or anything else. They said they wanted someone who had vast experience working in a vet's office, not someone who just loved animals or was still going to school. I hope you get hired, but she told me she will have to go out of state to work once she gets her license. California seems to be swamped with vets and student vets. I hope you prove me wrong and get hired. We need more animal lovers and less paper pushers (though that is an important part of the job) in vet's offices.

I live in California, also, and vets here are very particular in their hiring. I have a friend I used to work with who had a B.S. in science and was attending medical school to become a vet. The offices wouldn't hire HER as a clerk assistant, or anything else. They said they wanted someone who had vast experience working in a vet's office, not someone who just loved animals or was still going to school. I hope you get hired, but she told me she will have to go out of state to work once she gets her license. California seems to be swamped with vets and student vets. I hope you prove me wrong and get hired. We need more animal lovers and less paper pushers (though that is an important part of the job) in vet's offices.

Thanks And I agree lol Vet stuff is so competitive here lol. I hope if it doesn't go to me that they find someone who loves animals as much as I do and is motivated to do long term work in the field.

Archived