Converting Inside Doggies to Outside Doggies

Maroney555

Hi ena!!!

I have a question about my dogs. I have a small 25 lb terrier who is 3 and a 50 lb boxer who is 2 and a half. Since we have had them, they started as outside dogs while we were gone, then we moved and they became outside dogs only when we were home, but not all day. Just occasionally outside with the door open so they could meander as they please. We could only put them outside during the day because we have a deck and my houdini-like terrier always escaped when we left. So basically, their whole lives they have been inside dogs, which is really becoming stressful.

Being renters, we are finally moving into a new place that actually has a yard that is well fenced and roomy. Minimal grass and mostly concrete, but the dogs will manage. We are going to put a dog house with bed and stuff for them, so they will have protection. There are also trees and stuff to cover them. We have wanted our dogs to remain mostly outside since we have gotten them, but haven't had the chance since, in our area, it's hard enough to find a reasonably priced place for rent, let alone one that allows dogs, let alone one with a fenced yard.

Our plan so far is to leave them outside permanently, but set up a little area in the laundry room for them to come inside and sleep at night or when it rains. We have raccoons in our area, so a doggy door isn't an option, so we will be controlling when they come in and outside.

My questions are:

-Does anyone have any advice in converting the dogs?

-Also, how do you have outside dogs when it rains?

Those are the only two that I have for now...I am sure I will have some more later....

Thanks for the input!!!

First, I think that the dog needs to have the personality to be an outside dog. I had a dog when I was younger that was fine being either an inside dog or outside dog. Our current dog now would never manage as an outside dog. But if your dogs are fine with being outside, then I don't think it'll be difficult.

First, I think that the dog needs to have the personality to be an outside dog. I had a dog when I was younger that was fine being either an inside dog or outside dog. Our current dog now would never manage as an outside dog. But if your dogs are fine with being outside, then I don't think it'll be difficult.

Ya, I was afraid of that. Our boxer got sprayed by a skunk and we kept them outside because it was late and I didn't want to deal with the smell because of class in the morning...she was whining all night long. And if we are home and we put them outside with the door shut, they whine.

There's no way to break this and get them used to being outside? They are so spoiled, so I know it will be hard regardless. Also, they'd only be out during day time and inside at night...they usually like being outside, but only if they can willingly come back in on their own terms.

For example, boxer will whine to go outside, let her out and she won't potty, she'll just lay out in the sun. If the door is open she will stay out there all day long, no problems. If it is closed however, she will spend about 5 minutes and come whine at the door. Come inside, then whine to go back out. So basically, they don't want to feel trapped either inside or outside.

Come inside, then whine to go back out. So basically, they don't want to feel trapped either inside or outside.

Could you install a doggy door that you can close at night and during the day when you're gone for a long time to keep the raccoons out? Maybe just a dog door that will allow them into a small space or something, so at least they have the option of coming inside when the outdoors are too much to handle; yet something that you can close if you decide the dogs need to stay outside during certain times and to keep the raccoons controlled.

I gotta say though that it might be difficult turning your inside dogs into outside dogs, eek! They already have a taste of the good cozy warm life indoors

I suppose we could do that....that is a good idea actually. We have had raccoons break into our house before lol so that's a legitimate worry for us hahaha.

I will do some research on the doggie door thing...

I really need the advice on turning them into outside doggies and making THAT transition hahahaha. They are spoiled and love their little cubbies where their beds are hhahaha.

I think that's cruel. they are used to being inside! why bother having a dog if you're just going ot leave it outide?? what about bad weather??? have a heart get a doggy door

Relax...I specifically mentioned bringing them in at sleep at night and when it is bad weather outdoors.

Putting them outside is for them. They prefer space to play and be outside. They are just spoiled. My husband and I are very much in love with our pups and are in no way CRUEL or abusive toward them AT ALL....

Archived