There doesn't seem to be any girls around me...

LOL. Then go to places where you'll meet new girls. Go to a new beach, park, neighborhood, etc. Or get friends to introduce you to their friends that they think might be compatible with you..

Also when you're in school, try joining sports & clubs. You'll meet people from different grades that you don't know that way.

I have read some stuff that says that a girl can tell in 10 min. whether your BF material or Friend material.

When your talking to girls, and being all friendly and all, make subtle hints that your interested in something more than just a friendship, and do this early.

Many guys including me when i was younger, never wanted to put women in defense mode, I was always worried they might think I'm after them and scare them away!!! silly me! because thats exactly what you want them to know!!! just don't come on strong or offensive, its all in your style and delivery.

Haven't you noticed that those guys that have little restraint in telling a girl they like them, always have dates, yes, maybe 4 out of 5 chicks tell him to fly a kite, but one says yes! and if he asks ten girls a week, he has 2 dates for the weekend! eventually he will find the one he can be friends with and be a BF.