Didn't make it through the interview stage...

bhzmafia

In Australia for law students we do clerkships at law firms over summer, graduate jobs are taken from this pool so the clerkships are pretty important.

I applied to 25 firms, had 8 interviews and didn't get offered any clerkships at all, so now I'm feeling terrible and not too sure what to do with myself.

I havn't called the firms yet for feedback, except for one firm, who said that I didn't relate my skills to how it can help the firm enough. I probably made the same mistake in all interviews...

I was wondering now what my next step should be.

I am planning on:

- volunteer work at a clinic

- getting feedback from firms to find out how I stuffed up every interview

- looking for paralegal work at a firm

Does anyone else have any advice for me? I'm feeling pretty dam terrible that every firm rejected me, hard to find positives in it!

I understand what they were saying. You need to show them why you would benefit them, not the other way around. Don't talk about what the clerkship will do for you in your career, but find out the needs or mission of the company and tell them how hiring you will benefit THEM. Treat them also like they are the only ones you are interviewing for rather than making it obvious you applied at 25 and they are just in the pile and you don't know what makes them unique or makes you a fit. Also focus on the firms you feel you are fit at.

I don't know if that is how it works, but I would not focus on getting feedback from the firms, but rather just very professionally thanking them for the interview unless a professor of yours, or mentor works at the firm. Who knows, if they should have an opening in the future and you didn't get it but were in their top 5, they might remember your shortcomings if the last contact was you asking what you did wrong, rather than remembering that you thanked them for the interview.

Archived