sad and confused about love and needing space

i would like any opinion because i just don't know what to think...

My boyfriend and I dated for two years and were extremely happy together, he is a year older than I am and just graduated from college last year. We were used to seeing each other everyday and talked probably everyday the whole time we went out, we just loved being together. Following his graduation he was relocated for six months for job training. This period was very hard on the both of us, he preferred to keep our conversations short and b/c of the job we only were able to see each other maybe 4 times for this entire six months. He just returned home, but we are still long distance because I am still in school and he is back at his home which is fairly close to my home. We have stayed together this whole time but it has been hard, he has kept his distance, and things were good did not return to being as it was- I attributed this to stress on both of our parts-- his training experience then being in his new job.. mine to school stress and figuring out what I would be doing after graduation. Just recently we decided to take a break, I wanted to work things through together, he wants some alone time to "figure out where his life is going." We have had a very healthy, loving relationship and have both said we could see being happily married to each other one day (neither one of us wants to marry before we find jobs, grow up some, settle, ect) We just fit so well together. What do I do during this break? Does alone time mean he wants to see other people? Is there hope for us in the future? Is this just growing pains? I'm so confused I want to have faith in us, but I hate the idea of breaking up and getting back together--t o me it seems that that is an easy way out and I don't want to always be "an out" for anytime we are stressed if we get back together... i guess i just want to know of any advice or to know if this is normal growing up stuff that we can work through after some time.

Thank you for any help

I know how hard it is when a boyfriend wants some time apart.

I've been through it with previous ones.

In my experience, it can either mean two things:

1) he is insecure about how you feel about him and doesn't want to put his heart on the line.

or

2) he could feel like you two aren't working as well anymore.

I think the only thing you can do is talk to him more about it. I know it is akward but I think thats the only way to know where you two stand.