Dad won't let me pick up my things

bpsekh

I moved out of my dad's apartment a few months ago (actually it was my apartment, then my dad moved in with me while I was still a student).

I have some things there as well as some things that we put in a storage locker when we first came to this city. Two weeks ago, I called him and said that I need to come by to pick things up and move them into my new place. These are generic items such as some of my books, clothes, wall paintings, and some furniture, etc. that I didn't really need at the time I moved out. I also didn't have space for them until recently, but since one roommate moved out and took his furniture with him, we have a lot more space in the apartment these days.

We made an appointment and I went over there at the agreed upon time. But he was nowhere to be seen. I actually waited for an hour, but he never showed up. When I called him back up, he said that since I moved out "without his permission" that I technically forfeited my right to have those things because it was technically "his" place; and that by moving out I "gave" them to him whether I wanted to or not.

So far he has refused to meet me and give me my belongings, or even allow me to have the keys to the storage so that I can pick up my stuff.

What should I do? Is it worthwhile to get the police involved?

Are you sure he still has them?

He did lose some of my things in the past when I went out of the country. But he is ironically a pack rat as well, keeping a lot of useless junk in the house for no good reason.

In my opinion, he is either a- too lazy to help me move my stuff over (which he won't have to do, since I've told him my friend will help me), or b- wants me to move back in with him. Moving back in at this point is not really an option, as I am doing just fine on my own.

Archived