17 year old girl / 28 year old guy

I'm 17 years old, and for the last few months have been getting increasingly close to a 28 year old man.

I met him through my former boyfriend (who was 5 years older than me) but for around three months we just flirted and spent a lot of time together without ever talking about our obvious feelings for each other.

This all changed last night, we were at his place just hanging out and ended up cuddling and kissing for several hours and saying how intensely attracted to each other we were.

We've agreed not to rush into this, emotionally or physically, but do intend to try and make a relationship work between us.

I'm over the age of consent and have always been considered very mature for my age (not to mention the fact that people always assume, until I tell them otherwise that I'm around 20 or 21, not 17), so there are no issues of the legality of a sexual relationship between us.

He's quite immature for his age in some ways, so we kinda meet in the middle in regard to that.

He treats me like a princess and I'm amazed by how ... moral and restrained he is about not rushing into anything sexually.

Basically, I'm just asking for opinions, experiences and any advice on the matter and some suggestions on how to get my parents to give it a chance (even with their age gap, mum wasn't too excited about me hanging out with an older guy all the time).

I'm thinking, because I have a pretty open relationship with my parents and they trust me and my judgement, that once this guy and I have been together a month or so and things are going well, I'll get him to come out to dinner with me and my parents so they can get to know him and see how well he treats me.

Sasha,

i think that if he truly loves you then you have nothing to worry about...to help gain the trust of your parents, let him be involved in thier lives....even simple things like him helping to cook dinner, hanging out privately with dad....let him become close to your parents...when my sister first was dating her current present husband my parents were not sure about him..but he came into our home and connected so well that he quickly became part of the family....there were still differences, but we came to accept them...and my sister is now happily married!!!! people are scared of things they don't know..so let your parents (and the rest of your family) have lots of opportunity to get to know him...don't try to use words to convince them...let them see for themself...if he is as good as you say he is, then that will not be a problem..if not then maybe you should find someone else..

good luck,

RIchard

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this so bare with me if my post/reply is a mess. But your 'situation' is so similar to mine it's eerie. I am 16 years old (17 in Oct.) and I am currently TALKING with a 26 year old. Yeah I realize our age gap is a LOT greater but we really like each other. My folks think he's 20 and his family all thinks I'm 21 (lol I'm the older one lol). But he's similar to your guy, minus the immature thing lol. He's very very wise beyond his years, as with me. I am constantly being told, I look, sound and act older. In fact when I tried telling a niece of his my real age (over the telephone), she didn't believe me she swore up and down that I was 20 at least so... But I just wanted to say I understand you completely and I wish you the best of luck. And maybe we can even become closer friends and swap stories and whatnot. Either way I'm here...

I am also in love with a older guy. i thought that i would have the same problem as you with my mom and dad not liking him but then I took him home and everyone loved him. We dated for a year and a half and got a long just fine. But we thought that we need sometime apart so we are just really good friends right now. I think that we might be getting back togeter some time soon because we cant live with out each other. I dont like to date guys my age I like them older lol for some reason. If you would like to talk some more feel free to email me at email removed

Good luck

Hey there...

I have an older guy also. I too have been considered older and more mature than I am (I am 17) so I know where you're coming from.

There is nothing wrong with going out with an older guy, age has nothing to do with the bond that you share. If you love each other, then go for it.

If your Mum wants your happiness (as mothers do) then she shouldn't have a problem with this. Perhaps for her it might take a bit of getting used to, but just make sure that she gets "exposure" to him to get an idea of what sort of a guy he is. This will probably make her feel more comfortable with your relationship with him...

Good on you for finding someone special in your life!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem just different. I have some friends that are around 16 and 17 years old. I am only 14. I want to see them but my parents think I am to young. I know they trust me, and there only reason is they are too old. What should I do? Does anyone have anything that I could say to them that would change their minds?

• 2 weeks later...

sasha505, dont worry about it. I was married for 14 years to someone 20 years younger. OK so we are now divorced, but that happens anyway! Love cuts through this age thing.

By the way i'm now in a relationship with someone 32 years my junior.... no i'm not a purv.... just young in heart and mind.

Good luck.