A possible 'job' after being laid off

On no! I meant to write JOB. ROLMAO.

So out of desperation I put an ad on CL for a tutor/nanny position. I actually had one serious sounding responder. So I replied back, something brief.

She wants me to 'take charge' of the house and plan, shop in addition keep track on her 13 year old daughter where she is etc, and help with homework is a plus. So I said I can do that and lets talk about details etc.

I can see myself enjoying being a mentor to a kid. I wonder if I could make around $1200 per month doing this?

I just had some extra ideas that I didn't write in my email (or ad). Should I send a second email with these ideas and my phone number or does that sound too eager?

In our spare time, I thought we could practice yoga together in the house, or go for a walk. Or I can show her how to draw and/or paint. I can show her challenging but fun mind games that improve her cognitive skills and abilities.

sounds like a whole lot of responsibility so she'd better be paying good. I would make a list of what you will do and what you wont do. Then figure out what pay you should get. And then start high when discussing salary.

She said she doesn't want any cleaning etc. The way she put it was house manager and she wrote: NOT clean (beyond straightening up) run errands shop deal with plumber repairman or whoever.

What are possible things to put on the list. It seems like she doesn't need me for cleaning laundry etc. I wouldn't mind cooking if she wanted.

How much should I ask? It also depends on what neighborhood they live in I guess. Last time I made that mistake. I charged $30 per hour for a family that could have EASILY afforded double that.

Make sure you define the number of hours a week and whether you will be 'on call' for any weekend, evening, or holiday work.

Here's a survey i found for 2008 nanny salaries in NYC:

link removed

btw, salaries are not based on what they can afford to pay, but on the going rate for the job in the particular location. So if you come in way too high, then she won't even consider you. And it makes a difference whether you are primarily in the role of nanny (lower pay) than tutor (higher pay). So she might be willing to pay tutor rate for a few hours a week, but not pay that higher rate if you work many hours more in the nanny role rather than as a tutor.

so i'd try to do some research in your area on salaries to be expected. Perhaps call a nanny agency and a tutoring agency and ask what each pays their workers. Then go to here and tell her your fee is based on X hours a week at tutor rate, and Y hours a week at nanny rate, and charge by the hour based on how much you spend at each.

There's nothing wrong with inquiring about some more pertinent details; you're going to be responsible for her child and a list of other things. So it will make sense to get all the info you can prior to going into this. If the pay seems worth your while and you can manage I say go for it.

I have no idea what the going rates for babysitters or tutors these days are, but I would ask how many hours a day would you be helping with homework and how many hours would be doing whatever else needed.

Seems to me (going by the information you provided) the mother just wants someone to help the daughter if she gets stuck on something unless she specifically said she wanted you to tutor her in one subject.

I'd ask questions such as what kind of house work? I'd expect specific answers such as cooking a meal for the kids or cooking a meal for everyone, doing dishes and vacuuming etc. Going by what girls that babysit have told me many parents say "light housework" and it usually means something like washing dishes, ironing, tiding up, which for me personally would not be a babysitters job. I feel that babysitters are expected to do things such as cook mommy and daddy's dinner for the same price as looking after the child in which case let them get a cleaning and cooking lady or pay you extra for cooking.

When I was at University and my sister and I were babysitting for a family we made sure to be very specific of the rate, we also made sure to be specific that we were not cleaners and ironing and tiding up was not our job. A babysitter is there to care of the kids, play with them, put them to bed, help with some school work and feed the kids not to clean and cook for mommy. I think that is a very personal thing, some people are okay and have no problems cooking or cleaning up while babysitting, I personally wouldn't be, but that's just me.

I don't think a weekly salary is a good idea, set an hourly rate and expect to be paid hourly and knowing 13 year olds I seriously doubt they will be taking walks with the babysitter or doing anything other than they want, unless of course the parents specifically said that is what they expected.

Even though she wrote: you will NOT be cleaning (other than some general straightening up) - exactly like that in CAPS, I agree I should ask her for the specifics. She mentioned she needed someone as a general house manager - keep things organized deal with plumber, repairman whoever etc. and grocery shop etc. and helping with homework is ideal she said. So it is not lessons - but help with homework (and making sure its done I guess).

So I guess I should include these things in my price and set something slightly higher than a 'babysitter' hourly wage. Is that reasonable?

Even though she wrote: you will NOT be cleaning (other than some general straightening up) - exactly like that in CAPS, I agree I should ask her for the specifics. She mentioned she needed someone as a general house manager - keep things organized deal with plumber, repairman whoever etc. and grocery shop etc. and helping with homework is ideal she said. So it is not lessons - but help with homework (and making sure its done I guess).

So I guess I should include these things in my price and set something slightly higher than a 'babysitter' hourly wage. Is that reasonable?

I would say it is. Essentially a child carer is really that a child carer. Because the child is close to a teen it involves a good relationship between the carer and the child. While little kids run around, scream and spill things older kids can get more difficult.

I would ask her to outline exactly what your duties would be on a daily basis. For instance is it picking up the daughter from school, feeding her, where will the food come from, meaning will you be preparing it or will the mother already have done that? Will you be doing the child's laundry or ironing?

Grocery shopping? That isn't a nanny's job. It is a cook's responsibility unless it is shopping just for the child. How will you get to the store? Will they provide you with a car or public transport ticket?

What does she mean by "general house meager" you don't want her coming to you 2 months later and saying "hey Hike why isn't this or this done, you're the house manager bla bla bla"?

Be specific towards them you are there to look after the child and help with her. Everything else is extra, unless you want to do it. Just don't let yourself get used. Many parents are selfish and want the easy way out. They pay for a babysitter and get her to clean a bit, vacuum, dust, do the groceries, cook, and soon enough you become their cleaner, cook and child carer. If she wants a general house manager meaning someone do do basically everything she better be paying you at least $30hr.

As for the plumber, repairman I would not take that responsibility. a) you're in someone else's house and anything that goes wrong could be your fault or blamed on you b) you never know who you're really letting in

Let them deal with their own repairmen and plumbers.

Bottom line get her to be very, very specific. Your first worry should be YOU and your best interest.

I would also suggest you speak with other girls at your college or friends, family members even check some sites online. Try to get a gig with a wealthy family and with them word of mouth is usually the best option. They are also the ones that will pay a lot of money to have their kids looked after because they can afford it. Many of them like to go out to dinners and various events weekly so a good gig say 3-4 times a week where they pay $100-150 for say 6 hours is a pretty good deal.

My first concern going into this is the travel. They live 45 min away which will turn into over an hour with rush hour traffic. Do I ask to be compensated for this time, gas, and plus there will be depreciation to my car?

I agree with petite about the plumber etc. Should I just say I can't do this, or I am hesitant to agree to these terms because I would not like to be held responsible if something should happen.

She does want me to do some errands it sounds like. Again how far am I driving etc. Should I ask how frequently and how far I will be traveling for these things?

Should I as an all inclusive list of daily tasks + list of occasional tasks with descriptions written? Or is it rude to ask this?

I just really don't know all the things I should be asking. I don't want to miss anything. And I am clueless as to what to ask for compensation.

They do live in a nice neighborhood - so hopefully they won't be too stingy with pay, especially if they expect a lot.

Maybe I can ask for

1) A list of daily tasks with descriptions and approximate time estimates (especially if they are errands with driving etc)

2) A list of occasional, spontaneous tasks with descriptions

And after reading and reviewing these - then I tell them what price I am willing to do this at. Does this make sense? Is it rude or awkward requesting these things?

Depending on how much they want done I am thinking somewhere in the range 10-20 per hour. I realize that is a wide range - and I have to figure this out somehow.

Maybe I can ask for

1) A list of daily tasks with descriptions and approximate time estimates (especially if they are errands with driving etc)

And after reading and reviewing these - then I tell them what price I am willing to do this at. Does this make sense? Is it rude or awkward requesting these things?

Depending on how much they want done I am thinking somewhere in the range 10-20 per hour. I realize that is a wide range - and I have to figure this out somehow.

I would consider this a Home Caretaker-Nanny role, a double responsibility, and would expect to earn at least housecleaner rates, at least $20/hour, but do some research for your area (check what Errand businesses charge also). Make a detailed list, and name your current price per hour, how often you expect to be paid, if you will be using their car or yours, and that you need be paid mileage for errands (if in your car) in addition to your hourly rate. I know housecleaners and gardeners who charge mileage TO each clients job (one way) as well, so decide on this beforehand and state it. (Research what the going rate for mileage is, and charge that, and keep detailed mileage records for your taxes at the end of the year, buy a mileage booklet specifically for this.) At the bottom of this list you might add other possible responsibilities, but state that it may affect your rates. If you are concerned about it, state that you will be there for plumbers, etc., but can't be held responsible if things go wrong while they are there. State what your days off are, or if you are flexible. What do you charge for overtime? Evening hours? Weekend rates? Holiday rates? Can you contact them at work if questions arise, or are they not to be disturbed? All this stuff should be on paper, go over together, alter it together if needed, and both sign and date. Just state, that this is how you organize your business, it helps you keep track for tax purposes, and it avoids confusion down the line. (Remember, you will have to pay your own taxes, and need to keep track of your expenses and mileage.) Offer references. Maybe ask for references from them?

It is not rude, it is good business practice to make things clear before you start the job. By you taking the initiative to put this in writing (they answered your ad, so you are already in business for yourself) you are putting yourself in charge, demonstrating maturity and responsibility. They want someone who can take charge.

You might also want do discuss how many of the 13 year-olds friends max will be there at any one time, and if you charge more for certain situations with more kids.

. . . shop in addition keep track on her 13 year old daughter . . .

As far as shopping goes, clarify how you expect money to be handled for shopping purposes. You don't want to be spending your money out of pocket. So will they be giving you a budget to work with? Cash to shop with? Petty cash? You might not want to get into a situation where they ask you to pay and they will compensate you. Does the 13 year-old daughter have her own money to use for what she wants when running errands with you? I'd clarify this with everything else.

Maybe I can ask for

I don't think it has to be rude or awkward requesting those things, provided it's done in the right way. You can sell it as an example of your orgasisation skills, that you need all this information so you can work out a way to do things as efficiently as possible.

In terms of hourly rate, I agree with the previous poster who said you should evaluate on the basis of their job, house, car etc. how much they can afford. That isn't so that you can take advantage of someone well off, but rather to ensure that someone doesn't take advantage of you. I think for the parts where anything resembling childcare is concerned, you should expect at least $20 per hour, as you're going to be held responsible for the child's safety. For more routine things, such as grocery shopping, $10 per hour is a more reasonable minimum, so I think you're in the right ballpark. I wouldn't suggest operating two different rates (that could get awkward); rather, evaluate how much time you're likkely to have to do a childcare component, and fix some rate that will take that into account. Finally, I would suggest that you definitely fix an hourly rate unless the job is considered full time; anything else leaves you wide open to doing unpaid overtime.

I agree with all these. As a result I have to somehow stall the talk of money before I get my 'list' with the job description and preferably even before I see where they live etc. I am also not very comfortable using my personal car for there errands considering gas prices and depreciation to my car so how much running around they need will affect the price also. Right now I am thinking somewhere around 15 the middle of my range - this may go up or down depending on the tasks etc.

So I have talked to the my potential 'recruiter' and she seems really nice and reasonable. We seemed to agree on many issues, and it seems like this may really be good for me because she even told me I can work on my thesis in my spare time as long as things get done (I didn't ask).

I told her that I would like two lists from her (the daily tasks list and the occasional tasks list) and that we could discuss pay after this - she took this request very well.

Although they have a separate cleaning person, it seems like she would like me to do occasional tasks around the house, laundry and dishes being some of them.

She will have me do errands and picking up dropping off things, including her teenager. And deal with any plumber repairman etc if needed.

From our conversation, I got the impression that she wants someone full time and would rather pay a full time salary than constantly compute the hours every week. And I actually agree assuming she won't abuse the system, and my feeling is that she wont.

So here is my dilemma on what to charge. I don't want to go too low for obvious reasons - but I don't want to go too high. Here is my breakdown of things:

I will be driving about 90 miles total on a daily basis to get to and back. In addition lets say errands take up another 10 miles, that is 100 miles and about 2 hours. From our conversation I gathered that I will be there around 6 hours a day. So it's a total of 8 hours there+getting there.

So compensating for gas and milage at link removed and charging link removed, I get daily

55+8x12= 151 which is about 151x20=3020 monthly. Does this sound unreasonable or out of the ordinary?

Believe it or not, this is a HUGE improvement of my former salary as a graduate student involved in cutting edge research. What a world...

My first impression is that it seems a bit on the high side. I'd also feel somewhat uncomfortable with charging over $1000pm for commuting time/costs, when in the vast majority of jobs people get a big round zero for that. If you came to me with that, I'd feel like you were trying it on. I think at best you should be charging a reasonable gas rate for it (does it really cost 55c per mile?), and not charge for time. It's not her fault you live 45-60mins drive away.

I guess that doesn't matter anyway if you're going for a flat monthly salary except insofar as figuring out what a reasonable salary would be. The number one question/concern I would have in that regard is in terms of working hours, both the overall number and more importantly the times of day and notice required. Specifically, I can envisage situations where you're out on a date with your bf, for example, and you get a call from her telling you that her teenage daughter has just remembered she needs to be at some class or other, and you need to take her. If you refuse, you may be reminded that you're on a good salary and this is part of your job. If you don't think it is, that needs to be made clear right from the start, or things could get awkward pretty quick. The higher the salary, the bigger the obligation and the harder it is to say no. So I'd say first agree quite specifically what working hours you will have as far as possible, and what the policy is regarding evenings and weekends. Then you can get a better sense of how much is reasonable to charge.

The other factor to consider is how much she can realistically afford. I take it from your description that she's a single mother, but works in a well-paid job? Do you know what it is that she does for a living? $3000pm would be unaffordable for most people on a single salary, but if she works on Wall Street or something like that, then anything's possible.

These are all valid questions. I will ask what I can through email. I am not sure if she is single or not. She lives in an area where average household income is over 100k. She works in NYC. She already has a separate house cleaner. She does regular dry cleaning (probably for work) these things signal to me that she can afford it. In addition she wants me to do 'extras' like a little laundry dishes, run around errands (I assume in my personal car). So considering how costly it will be for me to drive there (which is 1100 with depreciation gas etc), I don't want to go lower than 2500 (which is without charging the travel time). And like you said it does sound like she will expect 'extras' so is it a bad idea to start from 2990 instead of say 3020 and leave room for her to bring it down if she must?

Archived