To cuddle or not to cuddle . . .

SpottiOtti

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for feedback on the cuddle question. I'm posting this in Relationship Conflicts because I see it possibly going there with my relationship, although I hope I'm wrong. Last night when I got off work I went to my BF's house to watch TV and eat some dinner. When I first get home from work, I need a little time to decompress, you know? (Normal?) So I give him a hug and a kiss and a thanks for getting dinner, then we sit down to eat in front of telly. The eating in front of the telly is the decompression part. But while I was trying to eat, he was snuggling all over me, which really got on my nerves because I just wanted to relax, and I was starving. I didn't reciprocate, but he didn't get the point, and I finally had to ask him (nicely and humorously) if he could cut back the snuggle factor by about fifty percent. I had to say something; I felt smothered and annoyed. I could tell he was bothered.

Later on, I asked him if it upset him when I said that, and he told me that it made him worried that I'm losing interest in him. I reassured him that I wasn't, and explained about the decompression thing. But inside, I'm like "Whaaaattt???" I'm stunned that he would think that. I mean, I'm usually a very affectionate person with him, but I don't like to be all up in each other's faces every minute that we're together. Just because I don't feel like sucking face one night means I'm losing interest?? Am I overreacting here, or is this completely unreasonable?

Thoughts? How cuddly are you in your relationship? Have you had any conflicts about this, and how did you resolve them?

Thanks for your replies. Sidehop, I was worried about it coming off the wrong way and hurting his feelings, because I'm still becoming comfortable with asking for space in relationships. Maybe I was too blunt or should have not made a joke out of it.

Sonic, this is pretty new still. We've been dating for about three and a half months. Everything else is great. I am normally affectionate and we have a great time together, laugh a lot, and seem to communicate well so far, which is why I felt comfortable asking him if I had hurt his feelings. I think maybe he is less comfortable bringing up concerns than I am, and I'm worried that he has other concerns he hasn't brought up which are leading him to believe that I would just abandon him when things are going so great.

I'm the same way. But I've been with my guy for 6 years. When I get off work I need time to myself. We don't live together or anything, but he in the past he used to always want me to come over as soon as I got off work and spend all this time with him--and I was tired and just wanted to relax a bit. He didn't understand.

My boyfriend is a very affectionate person. I'm not. When I'm stressed, tired, or just in the "mode"--I don't really want to be touched nor do I initate any physical contact. He thinks that's wrong. His feelings get hurt easily and he feels like I don't love him just because I don't want to be all over him every single time we see each other.

It makes me feel smothered.

You and I sound a lot alike, Notready! Feeling smothered is NOT a feeling that I want to encounter in my relationship. After six years, still an issue for you guys, huh? I hope you can work it out someday.

I find that if I'm dating an independent person who's not very affectionate, I crave the affection. But give me a sweet cuddly guy who shows me how he feels all the time, and it's too much! Do you find this to be true? I wish there was a way to tell him, "I'll want it more if you don't overdose me with it!"

It's the push-pull effect IMO. I'm more physical than my wife. BUT...if I'm busy or just have a lot going during the day, don't call her or even hug her when I come home she lets me know.

As far as his reaction goes it sounds a bit paranoid and insecure but you know him more than we do...I wouldn't worry too much though.

Archived