Dating sites vs. IRL

Dako

I signed up for a dating site last week and then saw my entry in the catalog of humans seeking an interview. A while later I deleted the account because I feel odd as an entry in a listing of humans.

I know it'll take longer to find a friend but chatting with a lady feels so natural compared to the online stuff.

A lady I know is on the site, and she looked great, but she's different IRL.

I like her but the site shows her in a different light.

Anyone else notice this distortion?

If you mean they were different once you met them I would agree. This is the problem with online dating. People are often considerably different and sometimes it's good, but other times it's bad. I don't even mean lying either, just different.

It's hard to get the real person with online dating, and it's easier to build them up with your imagination. You also never know if they only like you because of building you up in their imagination, and not really you, regardless of whether you intended to come off differently online or not.

It's hard to get the real person with online dating, and it's easier to build them up with your imagination. You also never know if they only like you because of building you up in their imagination, and not really you, regardless of whether you intended to come off differently online or not.

This is true and the main reason I don't like to waste a lot of time on-line before meeting them.

Online dating is a tool to meet new people and not a tool to get to know them well. If you prefer getting to know someone very well before ever meeting them, online dating isn't for you. How much do you know about a person when you first meet them IRL?

Archived