I am trying to find a low cost therapist. I have a huge deductible for psychotherapy and counseling and do not have the funds to pay $100 per visit. I realize therapists are worth the money, but I just don't have it. Anyone know of any options for someone in my position? My only other option is to continue on the "time will heal" path or maybe go to a church, but with my current crisis of faith, church is really a tough idea...

I've found a few listings, but they all state that you must make less than a certain amount of income which I likely exceed.

Any ideas are appreciated...

Well I'd be careful about using a cut rate therapist. I don't know exactly what issues you have and whether they require someone with a lot of experience or not.

I know you said you are having a crisis of faith but perhaps trying a faith based counselor is worth a try. Perhaps restoring some of your faith will help your mind heal from it's other wounds. Most churches have free counseling or they operate on a donation / pay what you can afford basis. And if their counselors are good they will recognize situations beyond their area of expertise. They may be able to refer you to low cost programs that operate in the community as well.

Depending on your issues, sometimes a support group can help you. They aren't appropriate for everyone but they usually are very low or no cost.

thanks av... My issues are basically the result of an emotionally abusive relationship that has finally ended. The loss of faith comes from the belief that I once held that God would never put me in a situation I couldn't handle. The relationship turned out to be based on a million lies from a sociopath and I am having a hard time accepting the truth. I've spent a long time actively avoiding the truth, but now that I can see this man for who he truly was, and that every word was a lie and that he deceived me completely (cheating, lying, abusing) I just have a hard time breathing. The feeling of total betrayal results in near constant tears. I just want to be done and over it, yet all the wonderful things I'm doing are still cluttered with memories of him and what would never be.

I see. Well here is a center called Laura's House that may be in your area:

link removed

They offer counseling services for victims of abusive relationships and perhaps they have something either that suits you or they can refer you to one of their partner organizations which is more appropriate for you.

Most of these types of centers do not charge victims for their services. And if they do it is very low cost.

There are a lot of good therapists out there who will do pro bono work or have services offered on a sliding scale fee where you pay what you can afford. Also, does your area have a public health center that you could go to and receive counseling? Many therapists there are just as good as private therapists, and also many places will do some type of sliding scale/ pro bono work as a way to give back. I am a counselor myself and I know many counselors and psychologists also who started off working at a public health place, then eventually moved on to private practice, and also some really good ones that still work there. I think it is worth a try.

If you go here you can search for a certified counselor who specializes in the area that you want therapy in, and then you could maybe just call around and see if anyone offers any type of sliding scale/pro bono work or could refer you to someone who does:

link removed

Hope this helps!

Here is a link. They might be able to provideyou with some information re therapists where you are.

link removed

Good luck

H

Thanks... that one's pretty far away (I'm in Cali). I will start with the local community center. I really can't believe the damage this man has done to me. I realize it's only been a few weeks since reality hit, but I am having a really hard time moving on and past it. I am just sooo tired of feeling worthless when I KNOW I'm not. ](*,)

Do you guys ever just get TIRED of your own brain? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Archived