So who pays?

alive_inside

Just to give an update, we went out tonight and he paid, i left the tip. Seemed to work out fine, and he already mentioned he was going to pick up his paycheck before our next date on friday.

I guess I'll just go with the flow on this one

It's very give-and-take. A woman can pay once in a while as long as both parties are financially responsible and she knows he'll make up for it later or he did something extraordinary to deserve it.

My girl doesn't mind paying for me because I drive some 40 miles to see her each week and do all the driving when we go out. She doesn't ALWAYS pay, but once in a while she does.

It's very give-and-take. A woman can pay once in a while as long as both parties are financially responsible and she knows he'll make up for it later or he did something extraordinary to deserve it.

My girl doesn't mind paying for me because I drive some 40 miles to see her each week and do all the driving when we go out. She doesn't ALWAYS pay, but once in a while she does.

Well as far as relationships are concerned, I agree.

I guess I was asking more for the beginning stages of dating someone when you're first starting to get to know them. Naturally, I'd like to give off a good impression and I really would be discontent having my guy pay ALL the time. A relationship is give-and take, like you said, in mostly all aspects.

Disagree habs!!! Boy is responsible for initiating second date. Boy is responsible for paying for second date!!! Get some game. You dudes suck. I feel bad for any girl that is asked to pay for anything. I never have been! EVER!

Your mentality will get you far in the dating world. I'm sure you're not against equal pay and equal rights. Hypocritical much?

Personally, I believe that a relationship should be equal... but when you are just meeting someone I like to believe that chivalry isnt dead and I usually pay up front.

I think someone else said it earlier too though, whoever asked for the date should pay unless the other person offers... although as a guy, I usually offer, but once I get to know someone I would rather split things like that and take turns.

I never considered a first meet through a dating site to be a real date so I did not expect the guy to pay and very often I expected that we would meet for coffee or a walk in the park where "paying" was mostly a non-issue. Having said that, if we met for coffee I expected him to offer to pay for my $2 coffee (I didn't get any of those fancy drinks) if we went up to order at the same time. If he had gone up to get our coffees while he found a table I woudl have found it rude if he asked me to reimburse him or accepted my offer to pay.

If I went up to order I would ask him what he wanted and I would treat with no expectation of reimbursement (nor would I accept his offer to reimburse, although that would have been nice of him to offer). To me paying for my $2 coffee was in the same category as offering to get us napkins or sugar, etc. Of course if he was unemployed or similar I would make sure that either we did something free or that I treated/insisted on paying.

For a real date, yes I expected him to offer to pay for the first date, with rare exception. On my side of things I never suggested an expensive place to go on a date (and if he was financially strapped, as inexpensive as possible, unless he insisted on something more expensive or simply told me what the plan was) and I never ordered something expensive from the menu or had more than one glass of wine (and only if he ordered wine). I often offered to pay my share on the first date and offered on the second date 99% of the time

@Batya

Not quite sure what you mean by a "real" date.. in my situation, this guy wanted to take me out to dinner, and I've always considered that to be some form of a date. This could just be me, but i don't think it should really matter where or how you met the person initially, but to each his own i suppose.

@Batya

Not quite sure what you mean by a "real" date.. in my situation, this guy wanted to take me out to dinner, and I've always considered that to be some form of a date. This could just be me, but i don't think it should really matter where or how you met the person initially, but to each his own i suppose.

Absolutely we can agree to disagree. When I first met someone in person through a dating site, I saw it as a meeting to see if we should go on a real date -- no matter how much we typed and talked we'd never met in person so I couldn't expect him to know whether he wanted to take me on a real date.

@Batya

Absolutely we can agree to disagree. When I first met someone in person through a dating site, I saw it as a meeting to see if we should go on a real date -- no matter how much we typed and talked we'd never met in person so I couldn't expect him to know whether he wanted to take me on a real date. It doesn't matter how you met the person initially - but I don't consider it "meeting" a person for dating purposes before we meet in person.

I guess part of my standards come from the fact that I think a first date or initial meeting--whatever you want to call it--is nothing more than a couple drinks at a place that serves alcohol but has a relaxed enough atmosphere where you can hear each other talk without shouting.

I guess part of my standards come from the fact that I think a first date or initial meeting--whatever you want to call it--is nothing more than a couple drinks at a place that serves alcohol but has a relaxed enough atmosphere where you can hear each other talk without shouting.

Generally. But there's times when certain individuals, due to circumstances they cannot control, are unable to go to bars. Once I'm actually able to, I doubt I would ever agree to meet a guy from an online dating site at one. I mean, if i was going to go to a bar in the first place, I would just consider it to be another way of meeting people.

Generally. But there's times when certain individuals, due to circumstances they cannot control, are unable to go to bars. Once I'm actually able to, I doubt I would ever agree to meet a guy from an online dating site at one. I mean, if i was going to go to a bar in the first place, I would just consider it to be another way of meeting people.

Then either go out for ice cream or coffee. What's more, even if he can't afford a nice meal, he might at least be able to afford ice cream or a latte.

Archived