Hello, this post is more to help my cousin out than anything. He suffers from Agoreaphobia (sp?) For those of you that are unfamiliar with it, its a fear of being in public. Because of this he cant go into public without someone that he really trusts, parents, uncles.. myself. Ive been living with him for a little over a year now, and have been trying to help him get through this, because basically if he goes somewhere that hes not familiar with or not with someone he knows, he has a panic attack. but the thing is, Im moving out of state for a job in about a month and a half, does anyone know any tips that I might be able to relay to him, this is a pretty serious problem for him because he cant get out and have a social life, which means no girl friends ect. I do apperciate all the help, thanks in advance!

Hi Diggy5,

This is the first time that I have actually heard of this disability, so the topic had me puzzled for a bit.

eNotalone works with the website suite101. Some links from here relate to that website. Suite101 also help out people and they actually do have articles and a forum regarding this disability.

I hope that this will bring you a little further. Good luck

~ SwingFox ~

• 3 months later...

Hi there, yeah I can understand your cousin's problem! It's not easy but well check this out. MisterX has been inside for x years then he starts walking at night cause there was no one outside. And slowly he made up his mind about going out on a day. He had a panic attack the first time we ended up at the hospital. But 2 days later we went outside again and his heart was beating up but well he was okay. It takes about a month or two if your cousin really want to throw that fear away.

peace

• 1 month later...

Diggy you described exactly what I suffer with, although I was never sure if it was agoraphobia or not.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice but would like to say that thanks to the internet I've found a girlfriend who I now trust enough to be able to go out with.