I Want to Believe That I *Am* Pretty...

WomanWriter

When I was a kid, people called me names because I had bad pimples and was overweight. I wore t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers to school and was really shy. Some people did like me, but I was definitely not popular. I didn't date anyone and thought I was an ugly dog (judging from what my middle school crush said about me).

Then I grew up and guys started liking me more. I lost some weight, my skin cleared up, and I became a little more outgoing. Guys I thought were hot would make comments to my friends that I was hot, but they wouldn't say it to my face. Then some even started telling me to my face that they thought I was pretty, but I thought they were making fun of me or being sarcastic so I would be mean to them because of how I was treated in high school. I thought they were picking on me.

Anyway, I can't get over the fact that my boyfriend told me tonight that he thinks I am naturally beautiful. He told me that all his other girlfriends were cute enough, but that I am stunning and he can't keep his eyes off me. I wore a dress, which I hardly ever do, and I noticed a LOT of guys smiling and staring at me tonight! I kept thinking there must be something wrong, but no, they were looking at me and they weren't being sarcastic.

My ex fiancee who I thought was extremely handsome/hot used to tell me I was naturally beautiful too. But I didn't believe it at the time. I thought I was OK but that HE was HOT.

I can't really believe that I am beautiful like they said. As I was growing up, my sister was a stunner and everyone loved her. They always said she was pretty and then looked at me sympathetically and said I was smart. My mom is also stunning. Out of the three of us, I think I am the least attractive although I don't think I'm unattractive.

I know it shouldn't really matter, but I have self-esteem issues from this. I always felt like a plain, boring person. I never thought guys really gave me a second look or liked me more than a friend, but the older I get, the more attention from guys I get, it seems. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, but maybe it's because I dress up a little more and put on a little make-up. I am used to being a slob.

I wish I could believe it when my boyfriend tells me how beautiful I am. I just say thank you. I used to argue with my ex and tell him to stop lying.

I wish I could believe it when my boyfriend tells me how beautiful I am. I just say thank you. I used to argue with my ex and tell him to stop lying.

This is a very common problem. There's even a not-so-nice name for it. Most of us aren't the same as we were in high school, for better or for worse. Consider yourself lucky.

I'm fairly positive you are physically attractive, but it's just hard to accept it because your identity is associated with that "old self". I wish I had an answer as I have the same problem myself. People tell me I am a good looking guy, but in my head I am still that lanky 16 year old.

Archived